This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side-by default desktops - all flavors!

I was researching what packages get installed by default in each of the major "flavor" of Ubuntu so I did a fresh install of all three in vbox. Resulted in a neat line-up of desktops, huh?

Odd though that a resent review of KDE4 distros got Kubuntu 2nd when clearly - KDE4 looks better than gnome or XCFE
    Attached Files

Please Read Me

Re: Side-by default desktops - all flavors!

Originally posted by oshunluvr
    I was researching what packages get installed by default in each of the major "flavor" of Ubuntu so I did a fresh install of all three in vbox. Resulted in a neat line-up of desktops, huh?

Odd though that a resent review of KDE4 distros got Kubuntu 2nd when clearly - KDE4 looks better than gnome or XCFE
    Cool. What VM program do you use? For what each are designed for I think Kubuntu and Xubuntu are tops. Gnome for being a "high" end setup looks dated, IMHO.

Comment

Re: Side-by default desktops - all flavors!

Gnome for being a "high" end setup looks dated, IMHO.
      I agree - I was never a fan of Gnome anyway. I think it's too hard to navigate and change settings. I use it on my media computer, but I don't use the desktop much on that unit anyway. I prefer XBMC on that one.

I'm using VirtualBox 3.1.4 "regular" release (not the OSE)

I was just wondering what are the differences in the default installs, which I think most users install. There are some good Gnome tools that don't come with kde-desktop that might be of use to use KDE users, like Synaptic. I know some people are having wireless issues because kdenetworkmanager doesn't work as well as gnomenetworkmanager, which I find odd.

I have never used XFCE, but I use LXCE on an old laptop because it seems quicker than kde or gnome on it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X