Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Search bar hidden. Seems it's just me? It's a Wayland and/or HiRes issue I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search bar hidden. Seems it's just me? It's a Wayland and/or HiRes issue I think?

The forum "Search" location to the right of the "New Topics..." bar is hiding behind the main title bar.

You an see what I mean (barely) in this screenshot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240527_071804.jpg Views:	21 Size:	12.3 KB ID:	679883
    The arrow is pointing at the search bar button, which you can see if you squint a bit. It wasn't always like this. Since moving to Wayland I've had to adjust the "zoom" and font sizes on a lot of programs including my browser and this has been one of the results. The above pic is from Vivaldi browser, but Brave is identical and Falkon is worse - not even the lower edge is visible.

Seems like this must be due to the VB code and Wayland not getting along.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 27, 2024, 10:01 AM.

Please Read Me

KDE neon I presume?
    So it does show when you use these web browsers in X11?
    I am stumped: what is "VB code"?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

It's not Zoom - It's the font size. Playing with Falkon, I went back to default setting for fonts and the issue is just as bad but in the opposite direction:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240527_072518.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	679886

Now I can only see the top of the Search box. The above is with the "Default Font" set at 12. Changing to 16 gets this:

Name:	Screenshot_20240527_072557.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	679887

So it seems clear the font size is part of the issue.

One really odd thing is the left side of the menu bar does not show the same effect - meaning "New Topics Today's Posts Who's Online Member List" does not raise or lower with font size changes like the "Search" box does.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        KDE neon I presume?
        So it does show when you use these web browsers in X11?
        I am stumped: what is "VB code"?
        By "VB" I meant "vBulletin" - the forum software.
        Yes, KDEneon and No X11 - Wayland.

Please Read Me

Comment

• jlittle
          jlittle commented
          Editing a comment
          My first thought was Victoria Bitter, very popular in Australia, "It isn't really bad as it is simply almost odorless and tasteless".

I logged in using X11 and the issue disappears so it's clearly a "vBulletin vs. Wayland" problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Setting my browser font to 16 then zoom to 150% seems to be usable for now.

Still, I think someone should look into the cause and either re-code the forum main page or report a bug to vBulletin.

It's possible the newer version of the software doesn't have the issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

… or a general web browser/browser engine (did you also try Firefox to additionally test Gecko to WebKit and Blink?) vs. Wayland problem regarding this kind of code.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

… or a general web browser/browser engine (did you also try Firefox to additionally test Gecko to WebKit and Blink?) vs. Wayland problem regarding this kind of code.
              Sorry, no Firefox here. Someone else will have to do that. Besides, since 3 different browser engines have the same or similar results to me the issue is elsewhere and not the browser engine's fault.

I'd be more interested to see if other Forum software shows similar problems with Wayland.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ha! Now I can nitpick a bit for once.

Vivaldi and Brave = Blink (same browser engine)
                Falkon = WebKit
                Firefox = Gecko

I will boot into neon/Wayland in a minute and see if Firefox displays our forum site correctly there - but I don't have a HiRes monitor and I use default font settings, so I won't be able to test these things.

PS:
                No issues here in KDE neon/Wayland/Firefox (I am writing this PS from there) - so it seems that the HiRes/scaling/font size thingy in combination with Wayland and this website is the culprit.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 27, 2024, 06:26 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Which VB theme are you using, or rather, which one is our default.
                  I seem to be using "KDE Plasma -larger font" a 'child' of the KDE Plasma theme I tweaked some time ago to use for larger fonts in the text editor, at least. Which of course seems identical to the parent still, lol.

FF:
                  Both the parent KDE Plasma and my tweak use blue where yours is black:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240527_104100.png Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	679920

and the former default (iirc) Cool Blue Wide:

Name:	Screenshot_20240527_104305.png
Views:	87
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	679921

Note the search box is in a different location

I am only on 1080p, but these look completely identical to me on both FF and Chrome; fonts on both seem to be set to 16
                  Wayland, of course.

VB's font sizes are drastically smaller than other websites and forum software. I can zoom in on KFN well enough, so I stopped looking for solutions for me (since no one else seems to be bothered by this.)
                  Last edited by claydoh; May 27, 2024, 09:40 AM.

Comment

OT:

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    […]
                    VB's font sizes are drastically smaller than other websites and forum software. I can zoom in on KFN well enough, so I stopped looking for solutions for me (since no one else seems to be bothered by this.)
                    At least a bit… I use 120% zoom in Firefox for KFN - but I have to zoom in or out on different websites anyhow so this does not bother me personally.

PS: I cannot see the images you posted - I only saw the links when I quoted you…

Comment

PS: I cannot see the images you posted - I only saw the links when I quoted you…
                      That's weird.

Comment

• Schwarzer Kater
                        Schwarzer Kater commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think it could have been NoScript - everything is visible now, sorry. :-)

• claydoh
                        claydoh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        no, it wasn't showing anything here, not even links or placeholders. Then it was showing double for me after re-inserting the attachment, but showing the link/placeholder on another browser. Next, the raw bbcode was a spaghetti with at least 4 references to each.........It seems fixed, somehow, and definitely wasn't on your end.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Which VB theme are you using, or rather, which one is our default.
                      I seem to be using "KDE Plasma -larger font" a 'child' of the KDE Plasma theme I tweaked some time ago to use for larger fonts in the text editor, at least. Which of course seems identical to the parent still, lol.

FF:
                      Both the parent KDE Plasma and my tweak use blue where yours is black:
                      Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20240527_104100.png Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	679920

and the former default (iirc) Cool Blue Wide:

Name:	Screenshot_20240527_104305.png
Views:	87
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	679921

Note the search box is in a different location

I am only on 1080p, but these look completely identical to me on both FF and Chrome; fonts on both seem to be set to 16
                      Wayland, of course.

I'm using "Default vB5 Theme" which is indeed the source of the issue. Switching to other themes does change the search box, but not always for the better. "Cool Blue Wide" seems to work with any font size, but several others lose the search box when smaller than 16 is selected as the font.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X