Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the thread start or Advanced reply dialog default to Disabling Smilies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the thread start or Advanced reply dialog default to Disabling Smilies?

I've noticed this behaviour for some time now that for some reason the "Disable smilies in text" option defaults to on. I wish it wouldn't do that.

Also, if you untick the "Disable smilies in text" option but then preview your post and then edit it some more before posting it ... the "Disable smilies in text" option is again turned on.

I've also noticed that people quite often post replies that have the code for the smilies embedded in the text ... I assume that wasn't what they intended.

Is this a bug or an option in the settings somewhere which I've overlooked? Is it an advanced option in the vBulletin software only available to an administrator perhaps?

Maybe this has been discussed before ... so I apologise in advance if so.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Not showing that way here Rod. I don't know why it's stuck in your case. Try opening "Go Advanced" and unchecking the disable smilies option, save your replay, then log out. Clear your browser cache (or try a different browser first) and log back in and see if it checked again. Report the results...

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, I'll try that.

But, regarding other browsers: I've switched to using Vivaldi recently and it's doing exactly the same as Firefox was doing (disabling smilies by default in the Advanced dialog).
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Testing...
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Nope. Using Chrome I unchecked the box for the reply above, logged out of the board, logged in with IE11 (which has never seen KFN) and the box was checked again.

-- anais nin

Comment

So you're seeing it too Wizard? Weird because I'm not. I can't find a setting for it in the user profiles but I'll look again.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, I just logged out in Vivaldi.

I'm using QupZilla now which I recently installed ... this browser has never been on Kubuntu Forums till now.

I've just unticked "Disable smilies in text" ... previewing message now ... and the smilies box is ticked again!

Comment

OK, it's 1.30 a.m. here ... must get some sleep. I'll check back later today.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  So you're seeing it too Wizard?
                  Yup - have been since I rejoined the forum. Sent you a PM on this a few minutes ago with my observations
                  -- anais nin

Comment

The OP:
                    I've noticed this behaviour for some time now that for some reason the "Disable smilies in text" option defaults to on. I wish it wouldn't do that.

Also, if you untick the "Disable smilies in text" option but then preview your post and then edit it some more before posting it ... the "Disable smilies in text" option is again turned on.
                    Yep, bingo on that. In fact, at times, I can't consistently do anything with it--turn it on or turn it off. At times it seems random! I'm sure it is not random, but it seems so ...
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It is one of my vBulletin bug-a-boos. I want smilies disabled in posts "by default" so that it has to be enabled by the poster under Go Advanced. Why? Because if it is enabled "by default", and a poster includes terminal output in their post, then occurances of 'text smilie strings' are converted to smilies when that isn't what should be displayed.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        It is one of my vBulletin bug-a-boos. I want smilies disabled in posts "by default" so that it has to be enabled by the poster under Go Advanced. Why? Because if it is enabled "by default", and a poster includes terminal output in their post, then occurances of 'text smilie strings' are converted to smilies when that isn't what should be displayed.
                        What Rod describes seems to be he's trying to leave smilies enabled (untick the box) but they keep getting disabled (the "disable smilies" boxed returns to ticked). - Unless, of course, I'm reading it wrong again. I could be lost in the double negatives.

In any case, my user interface shows the box Disable Smilies box un-ticked (meaning smilies are enabled). I think the issue really is that the state Rod J is trying to have as default is changing itself - the box returns to the ticked state.

Please Read Me

Comment

I wonder if you choose WYSIWYG editor as default in your settings if it solves things.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            Yes, I see your point. I've noticed that newbies in particular post terminal output as text (which then causes the unwanted smilie behaviour) instead of wrapping it in CODE tags which displays it correctly--

Fake terminal output as text:

Fake terminal output as code:

Code:
                            :p  ;)  :D  ;D  :!:  8-)  :x  :o

Comment

Isn't it nice when we all get along so well?

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X