Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change Minimum Private Message Count for new users, Adjust Security Questions please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Minimum Private Message Count for new users, Adjust Security Questions please

Hi,

It took me about 20 minuets to get registered and I had to ask an administrator by Private Message to activate my account after going through some security questions that were difficult to answer and also email verification as well.

Also, when my account was in validation, I could send up to 5 PMs, now I can only send 0
    Inbox contains 0 messages. You have 3 messages stored, of a total 0 allowed. (Empty Folder)

Inbox contains 0 messages. You have 3 messages stored, of a total 0 allowed.

I was reading the article on the homepage and trying to register to offer a private spelling correction via PM.

I understand the importance of keeping bots out - but isn't all of this a bit much? Can you make the registration process less painful while still accomplishing the same security?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 26, 2012, 02:31 PM. Reason: Removed registration questions.

Welcome to KFN. I know that our 'security' measures might seem, ah, extreme, but believe me, they are necessary. We have tried many different approaches to protecting our forum, and all worked 'for a while', but were eventually bypassed by both BOTS and spammers. It became an endless battle.

Our current scheme has practically eliminated this problem. I'll agree that the question you got asked is an extreme one, but not an impossible one, and tools exist on the 'Net to find the answer. There are other questions that get asked which aren't nearly as 'difficult'.

As to the PMs permitted. That was just changed. We have several usergroups, and the first -- Registered Users -- is the lowest. After establishing yourself in that group you will be 'promoted' into the next usergroup -- Established Users -- and the restriction on PMs removed. Again, this is a 'protection' measure, so please don't take any offense.

KFN, while small compared to some other forums that include support for Kubuntu, has a very good reputation as being both helpful, friendly, and responsive. We work very hard to keep it that way. Our membership appreciates our efforts.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I understand the daily battle of the bots, It's unfortunate because forums aren't the "premiere communication tool" that they used to be several years ago for reasons like this.

Everyone from the admin group seems so friendly, I'm sure you're taking care of your community as you see fit and I'll say so far that I feel at home.

Comment

Thank you for understanding. I think you will find KFN a nice place to be a part of.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X