X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The [SOLVED] feature

Quoting Snowhog from Marking Threads as [Solved]

The ability to mark threads as [SOLVED] has been enabled.
    Great - thanks! :cool:

Marking a thread as [SOLVED] locks it from further posts until it is unmarked.
    I'm not sure of the value of this. I can think of many situations where people would want to post to a [SOLVED] thread, not least where the solution has not actually been explained well enough. That happens a lot.

There may halfway solutions e.g. locking after x days or having a prompt "this thread is solved - are you sure you want to post to it?" or having a button "request moderator to unlock thread".

But they would all require some vb add-on work, and simply not locking solved threads automatically seems like the best approach.
    Last edited by SecretCode; Feb 04, 2012, 12:34 PM.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
    Quoting Snowhog from Marking Threads as [Solved]
    I'm not sure of the value of this. I can think of many situations where people would want to post to a [SOLVED] thread, not least where the solution has not actually been explained well enough. That happens a lot.
    As I understand the option, and as we set the permissions, any member can mark a thread as [SOLVED], and any member can un-mark a [SOLVED] thread. So the lock isn't controlled by the OP or an Administrator/Moderator only.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree with SC. There are so many times when a thread, long after it's been marked [solved], continues generating discussion about its topic. I see no point at all for the [solved] feature to lock the thread. If that's not something that can be tweaked in vB's settings, then how about disabling it and letting the OP do it the old way, edit their OP, change its title, and then have the revised title SHOW UP? The other day I edited the title of one of my OP's but it didn't change how the thread's title was displayed in its forum, it was only visible IN the thread.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Let's find out.

1. SecretCode: please mark this thread as solved.

2. DYK: after that, see if you can unmark it, and then follow-up with a reply.

Comment

Marked solved ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            any member can mark a thread as [SOLVED], and any member can un-mark a [SOLVED] thread. So the lock isn't controlled by the OP or an Administrator/Moderator only.
            That does change things, I didn't expect it would work that way.

Comment

The thread is not locked, have you changed that?

Comment

Well, I'm posting and I didn't do anything but start writing...
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

The thread is not locked, have you changed that?
                  Yes. The ability to mark a thread as [SOLVED] (and un-mark it as such) remains.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    Well, I'm posting and I didn't do anything but start writing...
                    The [SOLVED] 'tag' gets added to the thread subject, but you only 'see' this from outside of the thread. Go to Site Improvements and look at the thread subject there and you will see it.

Comment

This particular topic illustrates the 'growing pains' we all are going to be dealing with as we learn how to use vBulletin. Frustrating at times, unless you opt to look at it as an 'adventure'!

Comment

So now, the solved feature changes the thread title but doesn't lock it? I think that's best. No particular need to edit the subject line of the OP.

Comment

So now, the solved feature changes the thread title but doesn't lock it? I think that's best. No particular need to edit the subject line of the OP.
                          Exactly. As long as it gets marked as [solved], AND is still open for new posts, perfect!

Comment

Bumping this thread because I've seen recent [SOLVED] threads being closed - and I confirmed if I mark this thread SOLVED, I can't post to it (but I can revert it to "unsolved"). (I can't however "unsolve" someone else's solved thread in order to post to it.)

Is this how it's intended to work?

Comment

Fixed, please let me know if you see otherwise.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X