This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Down time...

Improved search functions would be a BIG plus for me. Boolean searches would be excellent.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The only reason I bring this up is we all say "Search First" but even I've failed to find what I usually am looking for.

Comment

Snowhog, have you used Google to search the forums? I do it all the time. Merely add site:kubuntuforums.net to the end of your search string in Google. Google accepts Boolean operators.

Comment

Yes, I have. Don't think to do it most of the time, as when I want to search, I'm already logged in to KFN. Bit rediculus to search KFN from outside of KFN when you are already in KFN. :P
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            Does vBulletin have better search capabilities than SMF? Better search functions would be a great improvement point.
            Yes, imo it is better.. Look at ubuntuforums as an example of the differences. SMF does have serch addons iirc, but the overall looik and layout seems better in vb

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Yes, I have. Don't think to do it most of the time, as when I want to search, I'm already logged in to KFN. Bit rediculus to search KFN from outside of KFN when you are already in KFN. :P
                I do 99% of my searching using Google. IF I want to search a specific site the following is, for example, how to search this forum for posts mentioning wicd;
                kubuntuforums.net: wicd

This allows me to use filters that KFN's search function does not have.

Helpful Google search tips & filters are here. There is a "help center" which gives examples on nearly two dozen search techniques here.

My memory is so poor that even when I know I have solved a problem before I usually can't remember enough of the details to be helpful until I use my "mind" (i.e., Google) to refresh my organic RAM.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My memory is so poor that even when I know I have solved a problem before I usually can't remember enough of the details to be helpful until I use my "mind" (i.e., Google) to refresh my organic RAM.
                  This had me laughing for an hour or so (even now I still giggle). Thanks for the previous post GG, its helped.

As I've been using KFN & Kubuntu for a while now, I will be donating to both next pay day.
                  Hell, ultimately KFN has been where I've found the answers to all my Kubuntu woes.
                  That said any move to a Linux server with better search capabilities is a move in a better direction.
                  Intel E6500 CPU - 4Gb Ram- Asus EN9500GT 1Gb GPU....

Comment

Been busy so haven't been here in a while but today I've tried to get back in here and it has been hit or miss. Just FYI.

Comment

Working...
                    X