X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is registration TOO DIFFICULT?

Originally posted by Snowhog
    If you want to install Kubuntu, bring along the most recent LiveCD of Lucid, which should already come with the KDE 4.5.1 packaging. ....
    Where is that URL?
    In browsing the various links at this location: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/ I can find none that lead to a current Kubuntu Lucid Lynx LiveCD. The most recent is the LiveCD on August 16th.
    Do you know of a more recent link?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/

Comment

um, maybe we need a new thread here ?

Comment

Nah. It's over. The link you gave leads to the Aug 16th isos. The ones listed with Aug 18th are torrent or zsync links, or alternate installations, which I do not want to use. I am going with the LiveCDs of the 16th.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

August's 10.04.1 IS the latest Lucid iso, there aren't any dailies once the official release is out. There aren't any iso's with Lucid/KDE4.5.x

Comment

Keep it simple. One or two questions should suffice.
              KBD47

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                I will be making his backups when I get there next Saturday. I will also have to take along a 32bit and a 64bit copy of Kubuntu. I'm thinking Maverick to avoid the heavy upgrading that using Lucid will cause, and the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1. Maverick will be on top of that. But, is Medibuntu ready for Maverick? I haven't checked yet, and I suspect he will have the inverted web cam problem, too. I will be bringing a Logitech C260 USB webcam just in case. I will also be taking a couple thumb drives with a LiveUSB on them. I will MAKE SURE he can has a Skype account and can use Skype before I leave. And, I will make sure he is registered here before I leave for home.
                Hi GreyGeek...

How did this all go?

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

He had to postpone our meeting because of an illness of one of his grandchildren. While he was visiting there his son, who works in IT, showed him his Apple laptop. When he came back home he ordered one, so he didn't need to install Linux on his old computer. He hasn't decided what he is going to do with his old laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    He had to postpone our meeting because of an illness of one of his grandchildren. While he was visiting there his son, who works in IT, showed him his Apple laptop. When he came back home he ordered one, so he didn't need to install Linux on his old computer. He hasn't decided what he is going to do with his old laptop.
                    Ah, ok.

Regards...
                    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

The absolute easiest way to do a human check might be to use the method of my bank.

I was presented with three images. Let us say a dog, a rock and a flower.

i chose one.

When I go to log in I am presented with the picture I chose and am asked if I chose that picture, i get to choose yes or no.

There is also a random question of 6 that i chose that I must answer by typing a correct response.

However, the point is..... that there could be a picture presented of say a "flower". There could also be possibly six other pictures one of which matches the given picture.

The registrant then must only click the correct matching image. No knowledge of anything is needed only the ability to see and to click.

woodsmoke

Comment

It's ridiculous. I've joined very many forums over the years and have never been asked to answer more than one easy question or try to work out the Captcha words. I was almost expecting another question like 'what would you do if you saw a turtle on its back in the desert'

Can bots really workaround Captcha these days?

Comment

Originally posted by skint
                          Yes, unfortunately. Captcha isn't as secure as one might expect.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I suspect it maybe also an SMF issue, so a move to a different forum platform would hopefully take care of some of that.

Comment

...I was almost expecting another question like 'what would you do if you saw a turtle on its back in the desert'
                              Excellent.

Holden: (hears knock on door) Come in. (pause) Sit down.

Leon: Care if I talk? I'm kind of nervous when I take tests.

Holden: Uh, just please don't move.

Leon: Oh, sorry. I already had an IQ test this year, I don't think I've ever had one of these-

Holden: Reaction time is a factor in this, so please pay attention. Now, answer as quickly as you can.

Leon: Sure.

Holden: One-one-eight-seven at Hunter-Vasser.

Leon: That's the hotel.

Holden: What?

Leon: Where I live.

Holden: Nice place?

Leon: Yeah, sure I guess--that part of the test?

Holden: No, just warming you up, that's all.

Leon: Oh. It's not fancy or anything.

Holden: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of the sudden-

Leon: Is this the test now?

Holden: Yes. You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down-

Leon: What one?

Holden: What?

Leon: What desert?

Holden: It doesn't make any difference what desert, it's completely hypothetical.

Leon: But how come I'd be there?

Holden: Maybe you're fed up, maybe you want to be by yourself, who knows? You look down and you see a tortoise, Leon, it's crawling toward you-

Leon: Tortoise, what's that?

Holden: Know what a turtle is?

Leon: Of course.

Holden: Same thing.

Leon: I've never seen a turtle. (pause) But I understand what you mean.

Holden: You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back Leon.

Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden, or do they write them down for you?

Holden: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping.

Leon: What do you mean I'm not helping?

Holden: I mean, you're not helping. Why is that Leon? (pause) They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response. (pause) Shall we continue? Describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about: your mother.

Leon: My mother?

Holden: Yeah.

Leon: Let me tell you about my mother. (shot fired)
                              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                              -- anais nin

Comment

Humans, too. Attackers (and researchers) have used Amazon's Mechanical Turk service to thwart CAPTCHAs for a while now.

Research report: How good are humans at solving CAPTCHAs: a large scale evaluation

Comment

Working...
                                X