This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping up to date

I like this forum but loose interest when it takes so long to keep up with the new version every release cycle. I believe it should be created on the release date.

2c Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Re: Keeping up to date

Takes so long? We had the board Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (LTS) | Pre-Release Testing up within days (IIRC) of the first Alpha Release. Once it went Final, we closed that board to new posts by non-moderators, and established the sub-boards you now see.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Was talking about Maverick

Cary
      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Maverick Alpha 1 is due for a release tomorrow.

That's probably a good time to start a Maverick forum

Comment

I don't think a new forum for each pre-release version is a good idea that would make the topic lists massive

plus it is meant for those brave souls willing to test out and bork their systems All the important info would be in the newest posts, and yesterday's issues might not be relevant tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
            I don't think a new forum for each pre-release version is a good idea that would make the topic lists massive
            I don't think that is what caryb meant.

If I understood correctly he suggested that a forum for the devel version would be opened immediately after a final version is released. (IOW, opening a maverick forum immediately after lucid was released).

For a few releases, we've opened a "devel" forum around alpha1 release, which has worked pretty well (by that time there are usually enough changes in the devel version to warrant a separate forum).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

For a few releases, we've opened a "devel" forum around alpha1 release, which has worked pretty well (by that time there are usually enough changes in the devel version to warrant a separate forum).
              That is exactly why we are doing it this way now There usually isn't much to show for prior to Alpha1. though this cycle we do have a new (beta) version of KDE fairly early on

Comment

We are well & truly into the 11.04 dev cycle now & there is nowhere appropriate to place issues. I don't like to put Kubuntu issues on the Ubuntu forums as there are some bigotted Gnome users who only want to put excrement on you for the mention of Kubuntu. The dev area is closed now, as this data is obsolete by the time the new version is out maybe 2 weeks after the release it could be purged & re-used for the next version.

2c Cary

Comment

to reiterate:

For Kubuntu, Natty is still pretty much maverick + updates PPA + a new kernel. There is little going on Kubuntu-wise at this moment, really. Alpha 1 will be here in approx 3 weeks, then nearly 5 months' devel time before Final.

I don't see the need to change things from the way we have it set now.

Comment

The Kubuntu cdimages are already on-board, albeit they won't boot correctly because of the aufs bug.

Read Status Natty section here on the aufs.
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

So when I put my plasma crash issues in the Maverick area it wont confuse the heck out of everyone, thinking now I don't have that fault or a barrage of false positive responses?

Cary

Comment

IF you are running an Alpha Natty, then yes, putting any comments as to issues with it anywhere here in KFN would be inappropriate, and confusing. You need to keep in mind, that (most of) the developers don't frequent here. Issues concerning Natty during this very early period of development should be identified to the BugSquad (maybe you would like to become a part of the team?).
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's probably time to create the development version (Natty) forum once again, Natty Alpha 1 should be released today (with KDE SC 4.6 beta 1).

Comment

Working...
                          X