This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting with attachment doesn't work correctly

I've had this happen three times now so I'm going to whine...

I wrote a reply post, attached a file, the file was outside the acceptable parameters (once too large, once wrong extension) and once I tried to delete/remove an attachment.

Each time the error message page came up, I clicked the back on the error message page, and it returned me to the post editor, and then basically you can't do anything.

Cursor and mouse still work but I am unable to edit text.
    Clicking on Post, Preview, or Spell Check does nothing.
    Attempting to remove an attachment loops you through the "Browse" sequence without any way to remove the attachment - you can change it but this is meaningless because you still can't Post.

OK - is this just me?

Please Read Me

Re: Posting with attachment doesn't work correctly

Originally posted by oshunluvr
    OK - is this just me?
    Yes. If KFN won't accept an upload do to size and/or format, it isn't accepted - period. Any user post can be edited/deleted by the poster as long as no one has replied to it.

Try clearing your cache.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's not that the upload isn't accepted, it that once it's rejected you can no longer make any changes to an un-posted post.

Please Read Me

Comment

Okay. There does appear to be a glitch here. If one tries to upload a file larger than allowed you get the KFN message:

An Error Has Occurred!

Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 192 KB.

Back
        I click on the Back link. Then I click on Additional Options... and remove the entry in the Attach: box. Then click on Preview. That works. I'm shown what I've typed. Then I click on Post. I get:

You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh.
        I click on the Back link and I am able to continue to edit this post, which I'm doing. I click on Post again and continue to get the above notice.

So in that regard, I agree. There is a glitch here that our host, Open Source, needs to address/look into. He does pop in and look at this board, so he will see this report.

As a work-around, you can do what I just did - copy your typed content, get out of the thread, come back into it and click on reply, paste the content, and click Save. That works.

Comment

Yeah, I've been living with the workaround thing but I thought ya'll should now about the glitch...

Please Read Me

Comment

I sent Open Source an email as well. What is likely going on with this glitch is a cache issue within the software that controls KFN. That's my guess anyway.

Comment

Looking into this, thanks for the info.

OS

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                Yeah, I've been living with the workaround thing but I thought ya'll should now about the glitch...
                I've encountered that glitch several times. A variation of it is that even IF your file is within the proper size, once it is listed in the text box it cannot be changed or removed. My solution is to cancel the post and redo it.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the validation!

I try and never post shenanigans,...

lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Looks like this issue is documented and I will try to implement this solution tonight.

http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3374

Thanks

Comment

Cool. Hope it does the trick.

Thank you.

Comment

Ok, it is partially fixed in Firefox. If you try to post an attachment that is the wrong file type or size, you will get an error message. Pressing the "Back" hyperlink on the error page will take you back to your post where you can correct the attachment and repost. Only trouble is, you still can't remove the attachment from the post so you will have to attach something if you don't want to start over. Remember this half fix only works in Firefox, so those of you using Konqueror will probably still experience the same issue. I will continue working on these bugs, but it is late and I am going to bed now.

OS

Comment

Interesting! I performed a 'test' using Konqueror. I replied, and identified an oversize and wrong type file as an attachment (5187179, .xwd). After a minute or so, I was presented with a white page. Nothing else. Just a white page. Looking at the source, it contained nothing - no code, nothing.

Comment

Working...
                          X