This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Netbook sub-forum?

How about setting up a netbook sub-forum?

I would imagine that with 10.04 Kubuntu netbook will becomes a popular topic.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Kubuntu Netbook sub-forum?

I think this is a grand idea. Any tips and tricks would be most welcome.

I installed KNR on my netbook, removed plasma-netbook and kubuntu-netbook-default-settings and installed kubuntu-desktop as outlined in this thread -

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107594.0
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Ditto, although I got to get myself a netbook first
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
        How about setting up a netbook sub-forum?

I would imagine that with 10.04 Kubuntu netbook will becomes a popular topic.
        Might be a good idea.

I have a friend who has a samsung netbook running XP and he's mildly interested in running Linux on it. I note you're testing Karmic on a netbook, presumably KDE 4.4. Would you say the kubuntu netbook remix is ready for prime?

Comment

I note you're testing Karmic on a netbook, presumably KDE 4.4.
          Well it is not a netbook,, rather a laptop and I upgraded to lucid netbook (will have to change my signature )

But to answer your question, karmic netbook was very rudimentary. Lucid netbook is a great big leap forwards.

There are a few issues:
          - all, even the root password screens / windows open at full screen size which I find a bit irritating and I haven't figured out how to change that yet.
          - the buttons for max., min,, and close are on the panel at the top right and get squeezed out of the screen depending on which app. is running.
          - firefox installer does not run, so one has to install firefox from the terminal (
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install firefox
          )
          - fonts are very small by default

All in all though it is a very nice piece of work and still being alpha I am impressed.

A sub forum would be helpful though
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for that. Sounds like if he does it he should go for vanilla kubuntu or maybe UNR, on the basis that the easier things are at the start the more likely he is to persevere.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
              Thanks for that. Sounds like if he does it he should go for vanilla kubuntu or maybe UNR, on the basis that the easier things are at the start the more likely he is to persevere.
              I couldn't abide either KNR or UNR's interface so as I mentioned installing KNR and changing to a regular KDE interface worked fine for me. Here's a screenshot - so far I've been happy with it. My netbook has 2GB RAM (I sneaked the 2GB stick into it before mrs. wiz wrapped the thing for Christmas) and at idle it uses just a hair over 150mb RAM under KDE 4.4.1.

[img width=400 height=234]http://ebassist.com/pix/netbook.jpg[/img]
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

The stock Karmic with KDE 4.3 runs very well on my netbook. I really see no need for a special netbook desktop.

Comment

Allow me to add my support for a kubuntu netbook forum. My upcoming purchase of a netbook is going to depend on my ability to put kubuntu or kubuntu netbook remix on it (also, the presence of a thumbstick, but that's not quite a deal-breaker for the right price). It'd be good to have a netbook-specific bunch of threads I could dig into should I encounter any challenges.

Comment

We have discussed this in the past, but right now we believe the need for a separate sub-forum on this is relatively redundant, as any issues that will come up are underlying ones found in Kubuntu/KDE/Linux in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X