This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lines don't wrap in some threads

As far as I can tell, the code boxes are pretty much just <pre> tags with css style applied to them to put boxes and information around them to make it clear that someone is pasting code. While this is handy for making sure the browser doesn't take pasted terminal commands as a command to execute, or to allow people to see html and css fragments in the name of teaching out, it leaves us open to a mess when people copy and paste straight from the terminal to provide information for trouble shooting, and the output gets messed up due to some issue or another.

Firefox, as far as I can tell, is displaying the blocks in question correctly, while the browsers who are displaying everything the "correct" width are taking some liberties on how to display things. In this case, it's helpful for the readability of the thread...

If we wanted to "correct" for this, it would be a change to the css for the forum. If we can figure out what class is used to format the code boxes, we could add an overflow: hidden; or overflow: scroll; to that class so that it will stay within the width it should. The latter would be the better option, as in the cases where there is actual code that goes past the overflow point, one could scroll sideways to see it.

Comment

There are still a few runaway spaces here and there, but they're all in line enough that it's not stretching the thread out at my current resolution and full screen view on Firefox.

Comment

Yep, looks much better. There's one pretty wide line in there, but there's no extra space any more.

Cheers,
        Ole

Comment

DK: If we wanted to "correct" for this, it would be a change to the css for the forum. If we can figure out what class is used to format the code boxes, we could add an overflow: hidden; or overflow: scroll; to that class so that it will stay within the width it should. The latter would be the better option, as in the cases where there is actual code that goes past the overflow point, one could scroll sideways to see it.
          That makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder if someone could or would get into figuring that out. I really like the idea of good readability anywhere there is stuff to read.

Comment

I took out all the 'extra spaces' from the end of all the lines. The post should now be as 'narrow' as it can be given the length of the longest line.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I started using the {tt} tag instead of the {code} tag and it seems to work pretty well. The icon in the message editor is that typewriter-looking thing to the left of the code icon.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
              X