This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No new posts since last visit

Often when I log in to the forum there are no "new posts" because my last visit is showing as my current visit.
    I cannot think of anything I could be doing wrong.
    Any ideas?

Re: No new posts since last visit

Clear your browser cache and check your cookies. If you have more than one for .kubuntuforums.net, delete the lower one. Save, exit your browser and then restart it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm having this problem too with Firefox. I deleted the cache, and everything was fine for about a week or so and I was seeing new posts when I checked, however the problem returns. I only had this problem start this summer, and it has never happened before (and I've been on the forums for a couple of years now). If lots of people are getting this, do you think perhaps there is something wrong with the forums' cookies, or perhaps the particular version of Firefox (3.0.14)?
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Originally posted by finifly
        If lots of people are getting this, do you think perhaps there is something wrong with the forums' cookies, or perhaps the particular version of Firefox (3.0.14)?
        I'm reasonably certain that it isn't KFN. I'd be more inclined to think it's Firefox. When you experience this again, can you fire up Konqueror and log into the forum and see if new posts are show?

Comment

Well first off it's the PHPSESSID cookie that is getting duplicated and I deleted that today and now I can see a couple of new posts in Firefox. When I log into the forums on Konqueror, I see the same new posts as I do (now) in Firefox.
          Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Do you have your cookies set to be treated as 'session cookies' or otherwise? I decided to change my Konqueror cookie settings to 'Treat all cookies as session cookies' so that they are cleared when I shut Konqueror down. I found (for me) that improved 'other things' that I experienced. One thing I've observed here in KFN, is that if more than one session cookie for KFN gets received - happens if you open multiple occurances of KFN, either as new Konqueror sessions or in additional 'tabs' - a 'new' cookie is added. For what ever reason, these 'multiple cookies' for the same thing create problems; nothing bad, just annoying, like slow internal navigation of KFN, not being able to return to the main page, etc. This has been my experience/observation. With that, when a new KFN tab gets opened, after I close it I go to Settings and delete the duplicate cookie(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Clear your browser cache and check your cookies. If you have more than one for .kubuntuforums.net, delete the lower one. Save, exit your browser and then restart it.
              I think this has solved it for me but I thought that I had the problem with IE at work too so I want to do some more testing.

Comment

Originally posted by robfish
                ...I thought that I had the problem with IE at work too...
                I too, use IE at work. My employer uses firewalls (multiple). The webserver 'cache' settings are screwed up (in my opinion), as I can visit a sight that I *know* has changed since my last visit, and I won't see the changes. Our network/PC configurations are so tight, that clearing the PC browser cache has no effect.

Comment

Well I opened up two tabs in FF with the forums and the duplicated cookie returned. So I guess that would be the issue here. But like I said, this was never an issue before. If it is a FF thing, maybe it will go away in 3.5 when I switch over to Karmic.

Comment

Just to add some info, I deleted all of the PHPSESSID cookies, restarted FF, came to the forums and checked that I had one instance of the PHPSESSID cookie. I restarted FF and checked the cookies before coming back to the forums and the PHPSESSID was deleted. So it appears that mulitple tabs (or multiple windows) with the forums open cause this issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X