X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time spent online in KFN is BORKED!?

OS -

I've been noticing that the time I spend online in KFN isn't being recorded accurately. As an example, today, at 2:40pm (my time), it was showing 74d 1h 5m. At 3:40pm it was showing 74d 1h 9m. I had been online for a full hour and I was only credited with 4 minutes! What's with that?

At least for my account, this has been going on for a while now - several weeks at least. Can you look into this?

Paul

Added: It's 8:35pm, and I've been on KFN for 6 hours and 20 minutes, but my listed time online is showing 74d 2h 16m. So while I've been on for over six hours today, KFN is saying I've only been online for 1h 11m!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Time spent online in KFN is BORKED!?

Maybe you have been online too long and the system can't handle it!! Just kidding, let me see what I can find out.

Comment

Funny!

I noticed today, that after a Konqueror 'crash' and a restart without restoring the session, my time online seems to be accumulating more 'normally.' I've been on for 8h 57m since 8:20am this morning, at which time, the online time reflected 74d 4h 6m. It is now reflecting 74d 9h 55m, a gain of 5h 49m. That's still short by 3h 10m, but better.

Thank you for taking a look at this.

Paul

Comment

Perhaps some function of real time, negative exponential, monotonically increasing (positive first derivative) but asymptotic to real time (per stepped interval, pre-specified), would be OK, thus reflecting increasing time but diminishing productivity returns (a negative second derivative).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That, or Hiro Nakamura is messing with my personal time spent online! :P

Comment

Some more observations.

1) My PC clock shows 12:41 am 20 October 2008
            2) KFN shows Last Visited as 05:41 20 October 2008
            3) KFN Look and Layout Preferences > Time Offset is -3 and Current Forum Time is 03:41:00 am

So, Last Visited shows me logged on 5 hours ahead of my local time, while the Time Offset and Current Forum time is three hours ahead of my local time.

Hmmm.

Comment

Well, it looks like my time spent online in KFN still isn't being tracked correctly.

Comment

As a picture is worth a thousand words ...

Just logged on at 8:46am today (October 25, 2008). As the image shows, the Last Visited date/time shows13:47 and Current forum time in Look and Layout Preferences > Time Offset is shows 11:48:53 am (I took the snapshot two minutes after logging on) which is +5 hours ahead of me (or -5 as a 'time offset'). Note that the Time Offset shows -3 hours "to make displayed time equal to your local time."

I've attempted to use the auto detect for the Time Offset, but it does nothing (for me anyway). So here's the deal: Which display time is correct - that initially shown in Last Visited (right after loggin in) or that showing in Look and Layout Preferences based on the Time Offset value?

OS? Any explanations?? Exactly where (city, state) is the server hosting KFN located? I'll know by that if the Time Offset is correct (for me) given that I live in Alaska.

Added: And also worth noting, when I post in the Forum, the date/time stamps on the posts accurately reflects my local time, as it did with this post.
                Attached Files

Comment

Okay, been online today for 3h 25m since 8:46 am this morning. KFN's Most Time Online is showing 75d 7h 31m. This is short by 1h 6m. What's most perplexing, is that the discrepancy seems to "creep."
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Snowhog, it looks like you and I both need a little more excitement in our lives!

Comment

Ya think!?

Comment

Sorry guys, I am here, just uber busy. The server is located in Virginia I believe. I got to be honest this will be one difficult issue to track down, primarily because I don't know how the software keeps track of time spent online. For instance, is it based simply on time logged in where the user is not idle for more than 15 minutes? What if I spend 2 hours writing one post? Does it count as 2 hours or 15 minutes (some timeout period).

Comment

OS -

Please don't spend a lot of time on this. It doesn't affect how KFN functions (obviously), and is more of an ego issue (yeah, yeah). But, it would be interesting to find out how time is actually being tracked, and why the time stamp on posts matches my "local" time; why the "Last Visited" time vs "local time" difference doesn't match the "offset hours" in the Personal CP area.

Comment

Working...
                          X