This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video/Driver/Xorg section

How about an Xorg/Video/Graphics section considering it's one of the worst things in Linux?!?

I have a 'new' issue and I have no idea where to post it!

Re: Video/Driver/Xorg section

Put it in Hardware support, I think that would be the most appropriate place at the moment

Comment

I know but rather than have it mixed with other hardware-related issues, I am suggesting its own category or section.

Ubuntu forums has it separate. It could be 2 main sections, one for hardware-centric (e.g. which video card should I buy for Kubuntu? etc.) and one for video issues including xorg, X Server, nvidia/ati drivers etc. etc. Just a thought. It would make it easier, too, to find info for video-based issues or if you want to ask a video-specific question, it's a no-brainer of where to go.

Comment

I don't think we want to make the forum topic list to be so long and complicated, though that is up to Open Source ultimately.

Ubuntuforums have an army of moderators and admins, while we basically have 3, so that should be taken in to account as well

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just think in our scope it isn't worthwhile at the moment. (imo of course )

Comment

Hardware could be broken out into sub-sections of say, "Video Card Issues", "Peripherals", "Motherboard", etc. However, I think this would be too complicated and would result in a lot more work for the moderators because users would inevitably post in the wrong sections and then the posts would need to be moved. Yes it would be nice to have separate sections, however maybe we could have separate topic icons instead (they probably wouldn't get used though)?

Comment

With the significant changes happening in the 2.6.26 and 2.6.27 kernels, it seems (to my pea-brain) fairly important to keep the hardware issues segregated by Kubuntu versions, which they presently are, if the poster follows the logic of the existing sub-forums. If all the video and/or audio problems from Dapper to Intrepid are lumped under the same topic, we'll spend a lot of time asking which version and kernel are having the issue.

I guess this is a vote for "leave it alone", or alternatively I guess you could put the following sub-categories under the Hardware section of each release, if it seems helpful to guide the poster:

Audio
            Video
            Other Hardware

Two cents' worth ...

Comment

Yes, that's what I meant by break it out into sub-sections for each version of Kubuntu. Though I think that would make things rather tedious with many more forums to maintain without much benefit.

Comment

Well, I didn't intend for my suggestion to impose complications or cause problems for the maintainers.

Here are the current categories in any Kubuntu version:

Installation and Boot, Software Support, KDE4 Support, Hardware Support, Network Support, Processor Specific Support, New Feature Requests
                All one would do is change one to 'Other Hardware Support' and add a video-specific one. That's it.

'Video hardware and graphics drivers' (for e.g.)

I agree with a separate category for 'Network Support' since networking (especially wireless) is a complicated and wide topic but needs some narrowing down.

I thought it might be an idea for doing the same for video/drivers. But, the forum admins know more than I so I don't mean to suggest problematic 'solutions' that cause more problems than they solve. It was just a suggestion.

Comment

It is a good suggestion and I understand what you were looking for, but at this point I don't want to create anymore sub-forums in each version. However, it is possible like I mentioned originally to break the hardware section down into sub-sections. Let me think on both ideas and get back to you.

Thanks,
                  OS

Comment

Working...
                  X