This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swear replacer

Hi, I'm new here, I just spotted a post on the front page that contained an expletive.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forums/...?topic=3098103

In the post itself, there is some sort of javascript funtion to replace swear words, so you can't read them.

However on the main page:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.php

they still show up!

I'm sure something fairly simple and quick can be done about this

Re: Swear replacer

i see nothing on the pages u linked to that even mention swear words or anything... All i read is someone wanting to mount an iso...
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

The original poster might be referring to "damn" this being the only word possible as far as I can see.

I suggest he/she switch off the computer or restrict him/herself to more heavily edited reading matter - or indeed write a word replacer him/herself. Who knows, there may even be takers out there...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by gdoutch

I'm sure something fairly simple and quick can be done about this
        Yes, I agree. The person with the problem can read something more "edited", as toad says.

I don't endorse javascript functions to inject censorship on our forum!

Comment

Originally posted by nowshining
          i see nothing on the pages u linked to that even mention swear words or anything... All i read is someone wanting to mount an iso...

It doesn't show in the post. It gets censored so that it comes out as:
          HEY BUY THIS #&%$ FOR WINDOWS" thing
          But when the post was displayed on the front page. The replace function that inserted #&%$ wasn't operating, hence the swear was displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by gdoutch
            Originally posted by nowshining
            i still never saw it..maybe it was me eyes..

It doesn't show in the post. It gets censored so that it comes out as:
            HEY BUY THIS #&%$ FOR WINDOWS" thing
            But when the post was displayed on the front page. The replace function that inserted #&%$ wasn't operating, hence the swear was displayed.
            Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

I've viewed both of the pages with NoScript allowing Kubuntu Forums (as it normally is), and forbidding the Forums, and i can see nothing which shouldn't be there.

Perhaps i ought to get my eyes tested....

... again.

Edited to add:

... and viewing the page source, that particular line says:
              just some step by step instruction with out HEY BUY THIS #&%$ FOR WINDOWS" thing
              I didn't include the page's HTML code.... for obvious reasons.

Nothing there that's suspicious.

Has anyone got a magnifying-glass?

Comment

Crikey, maybe it's at the php level?

When it was displayed on the front page the word "****" was visible. It's not in the post.

So someone somewhere it trying to prevent such words being displayed in the forum, and has code somewhere to prevent it. Only it isn't doing the same when the post is displayed on the home page.

That's all I'm saying.

Comment

OK, i typed it myself and it was replaced. So it's definitely there.

Yep, it's there all right.

Comment

Hmmm, I do it 3 times and they all disappear!

Comment

I'm going to make a WAG about this.

It might be because the OP of the post in question made a choice to type in characters that are not alphanumeric to represent a swear word (for some reason some people seem to swear about some operating systems). It may have been accidental or by design that the ampersand was chosen for this string but the ampersand has special meaning in HTML and I think you usually need to use "&amp" if you want to see it. I also note that the ampersand is followed by a semicolon and there are certain characters that can be shown in HTML by enclosing them in those two characters. So, it may not be a swear replacer at all.

I don't really understand all the comments poster gdoutch made but the behaviour described might be an artifact of an interaction of the php and HTML which misinterprets things somehow. I'm certainly not an expert in either of those areas.

Comment

I've looked at the HTML, and it's harmless -- as far as i can tell, though i make no claim to be an expert.

The entire post is wrapped in this:
                        <hr width="100%" size="1" class="hrcolor" />
                        <div class="post">so i have a problem mounting images to hardon harry<br /><br /><br />yes i am ver new<br /><br /><br />all i want to do is virtually mount an iso of backtrack<br /><br /><br />flame away<br /><br /><br /><br />just some step by step instruction with out HEY BUY THIS #&%$ FOR WINDOWS&quot; thing</div>
                        The rest of the page is normal HTML, in my opinion.

I don't wish to throw accusations around willy-nilly, but reading the original Topic - and this one - it seems to me that someone lives beneath a bridge.

P.S.
                        What on Earth is a "WAG"?

Comment

WAG = Wild-Ass Guess.

SWAG = Scientific Wild-Ass Guess, made by math/science types who think they have thought about it before guessing.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                            WAG = Wild-Ass Guess.

SWAG = Scientific Wild-Ass Guess, made by math/science types who think they have thought about it before guessing.
                            roflmao well.... one lives and learns.

Comment

roflmao ... ?
                              I won't EVEN ask!

(Minor correction: One learns, and lives ... )
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X