Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If any future enhancements are being contemplated ....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If any future enhancements are being contemplated ....

I believe that our forum here is small enough that those of us who post frequently have learned enough about each other to have earned each other's respect. At least on certain levels. Rather than being dependant on a new user to thank the person that helped them, maybe having one of the "Veterans" adding a comment to the thread after the problem has been resolved thanking the person who posted the solution. This would certainly reward me. Having Snow, dibl or Qqmike thanking me for helping someone would really make my day. Much less math that way, and more personal at the same time.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

“Having Snow, dibl or Qqmike thanking me for helping someone would really make my day. “

Well, thanks for the nice words, Mike. But having you, toad, MoonRise, and a dozen others I'm thinking of thank me would make my day! (I do like it when dibl thanks me for some of those how-to's I write ).

How 'bout if at the end of a solved/satisfied thread, the original poster posts something like,
      Thanks to XYZ for this solution (or for doing xyz).
      Or
      Thanks first to XYX for abc and also DEF for mnp.
      Or,
      Thanks to the following, all of whom led this thread to the solution:
      etc etc etc

I'm not so much on icon-building & icon-worship as I am on:

(1) who has direct personal experience with the subject at hand,
      and
      (2) who can and will and did solve the actual problem at hand today.

Lots of expertise is learned by trial-and-error during on-the-job training, in medicine, teaching, plumbing, and what we do here. A personal thanks would encourage everyone to make an effort to jump in and develop their skills. I'm skeptical of any numerically induced pecking order. Ultimately, we all know where the bs is and where the expertise is.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As I said above, I generally don't discuss issues of this sort, but:

I'm not so much on icon-building & icon-worship as I am on:

(1) who has direct personal experience with the subject at hand,
        and
        (2) who can and will and did solve the actual problem at hand today.

Lots of expertise is learned by trial-and-error during on-the-job training, in medicine, teaching, plumbing, and what we do here. A personal thanks would encourage everyone to make an effort to jump in and develop their skills. I'm skeptical of any numerically induced pecking order. Ultimately, we all know where the bs is and where the expertise is.

I agree with that.

Comment

Working...
        X