X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locking posts to the How To's section of the Forum

My suggestion for 'site improvements'

Is there any way to permit posters in the How To's section of the forum to make the post 'locked', where it can't be added to, except by the poster? Why consider this? Glad you asked.

Many, if not most of the How To's made in this section, end up cluttered by replies. Some even end up with off-topic 'tangents' getting added.

I think that posts to this section should be singular, and modifiable by the poster (or moderator) only. This keeps the How To's section clean and uncluttered, and, as I feel it was intended to be, a resource section that can be referenced in posts elsewhere.

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Locking posts to the How To's section of the Forum

Ok, everyone should now be able to post replies to any how to, however the owner can lock the post if he/she feels like it. Thanks for the suggestion.

OS

Comment

Yeah, following a How-to, I'd prefer not to get a bunch of “regular, pedestrian” questions posted from folks trying to solve a specific problem (although if they post under a forum topic, I'll do whatever I can to help them solve it). Such posts can ramble on and on and usually--with some surprising exceptions--will not contribute to improvements in the How-To. However ...

Without meaningful feedback & discussion & questions from one's peers and seniors, whether positive or negative, whether a one-line comment or a textual addition/correction, a printed How-to, although not meaningless or worthless, is certainly not as meaningful or as good as it might be[come].

Seems to be a lot of posts around here about making more rules.
      Seems many folks come here--to Linux--to avoid that very thing (rules).
      I wonder if next we should consider forming a bunch of committees ... ?
      (That'll be the day you will never hear from me again )

SH: “Some even end up with off-topic 'tangents' getting added.”
      (Ha! That's the best source for new, creative ideas. For example, I got my idea for dd Command that way. By definition, anything creative * is * off-topic.)

No offense Snowhog:
      The real offense would be to rule-out the human factor here.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        No offense Snowhog:
        The real offense would be to rule-out the human factor here.
        None taken. The observation/suggestion was mine alone. OS seemed to see merit in it, so added the option in that particular area of the Forum. An original poster doesn't have to lock the topic, so one still has the freedom to choose to do so or not.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, I would definitely not want to force anyone to lock a topic, however if a How To gets uncontrollable long, the poster might want to lock it. I value both opinions here. Freedom rules.

Comment

As one that did once post a reply to a top post in a thread in the HowTo forum:

Sometimes it is justified to post such, because the top post may no longer be fully up to date. The top posters are not obliged to always keep their HowTo posts up to date. Furthermore, because there are more than one way to solve a problem in Kubuntu, not everyone agrees in the recommendations given by the top poster. Other readers may benefit from seeing that there are different techniques that can be applied and different opinions and regarding which is the best technique.

I don't see a problem with being informative, i do see a problem if there isn't a debate on how to solve problems in best possible way.

Comment

heinkel_111

As far as my own views go, you and I are on the same page exactly.
              Readers should be able to suggest updates and better ways, or alternative ways, or fill in an omission.
              It's also nice to get positive feedback from peers, if it's only a brief “good job” or “thanks.”

If the How-to is targeted at advanced users, no problem, as long as the suggestions are on-topic.

If the How-To is targeted at beginners, or otherwise specially and carefully crafted/structured, then the author of the How-To should have the right to edit, annotate, or package the new suggestion accordingly for the intended audience, and he/she * should * (in my opinion) give due & specific credit to the poster making the suggestion (and do so right there in the How-to in some sort of a Credits call-out or References).

The written How-to will improve from reader feedback and from additional research/updates the author does. In this business, a writer can also look at the forum posts to get a sense for what the readers need and are asking about.

The main thing I don't think is good is when a reader posts a specific, detailed problem he/she is having related to the topic. That messes up everything for everyone and makes it almost impossible to keep organization and to maintain the How-To.

Best to post problems in the forums where (1) they belong, and (2) where there's an active, alert audience of potential helpers ready to jump in all day long.

Back to your comment ...
              I'd say you are right-on

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
              X