This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status of topics

I would like to ask for an option to set the status of a topic. Most topics are problem reports which get solved in time (or they don't).

I find it very valuable to see whether someones problem has been solved, both when I am search for a solution for a problem of my own and in the case I want to help anyone having a problem (6 replies to one post does not mean the problem is solved).

I would think of at least two statuses:
    OPEN
    SOLVED
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Re: Status of topics

I ask that members who've posted a problem, and who subsequently either resolves it on their own, or receives a response with a solution, to simply return to their initial post, click the Modify button, and add SOLVED to the subject line.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I saw some posts with SOLVED in the title. It is not in common use however, though it would be valuable information.
      That's why I suggest to make it more obvious to a poster to select some option "this solved my problem" (i.e. next to reply), which will change the subject line or set some icon for that topic.

Note that it is of little value to say users SHOULD change their subject lines, if they don't actually do it!
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen
        Note that it is of little value to say users SHOULD change their subject lines, if they don't actually do it!
        True. But the same member who doesn't think to modify the subject line, or who won't heed the advise to do so, probably isn't going to use a check-box option either. And the members who do modify their subject lines aren't the problem anyway.

So, as has been said before: "You can lead a horse to water, but ...." :P
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think a button with a label like "Thank you for helping my solve this problem!" will appeal to a user, because he will gladly express his thankfulness.

On top of that, I think many users aren't aware that it is helpful to show the status of a topic.
          I wasn't changing subject lines until I saw it in several posts. Before that, it hadn't come to my mind to do this.
          Even when they see it, some users might not think of it as a valuable piece of information.
          It is always easier to select a status from a list then to think of a status your own and then edit the original heading (in my first attempt, I only edited the title of my new post and not of the original subject-line which is shown in the forum.

Comment

Ok, I think you are right. A button that says "Solution" or "This Solved It" would be good. The button could be placed next to each reply to a topic so that when a topic has 3 solutions listed, the user can choose which solution actually worked. This would automatically change the icon or topic title to a "Solved" topic.

Comment

Cool, that's even better then a button next to the Message field of a Reply (which I had in mind)!
              I hope the forum will benefit from this.

Comment

Working...
              X