This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Kubuntu do?

I post this here - don't know where else.

I have an old Asus eee 1000 hc, and would like to run some version of, preferably, Kubuntu. The problem seems to be the resolution is only 1024 x 600. Some places it seems Kubuntu later than 10.4 should do, but I don't feel sure.

Will 12.4 be ok? I don't mean able to do difficult tasks, just Internet browsing, small Libre Office texts, facebook.

Screen size isn't really an issue; unless you got's bad eyes!!

What's more important is the specs of this little rig. How much RAM does it have? What GPU (graphics card/chip) does it have? How big is the HDD? If it doesn't have a wired connection ethernet port, what wireless driver does it use? If it has a DVD drive or a USB port, you can always try out a LiveDVD/USB of your desired Kubuntu and see how it fares.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You'll want to upgrade to 2gb ram if it has the stock 1gb.

Plasma desktop probably will work (12.04 and 14.04 are much quicker on older hardware than 10.x era KDE versions) but you'll likely want to go the Lubuntu route.

Dang autocorrect!

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by claydoh; Mar 19, 2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA View Post
        I post this here - don't know where else.

I have an old Asus eee 1000 hc, and would like to run some version of, preferably, Kubuntu. The problem seems to be the resolution is only 1024 x 600. Some places it seems Kubuntu later than 10.4 should do, but I don't feel sure.

Will 12.4 be ok? I don't mean able to do difficult tasks, just Internet browsing, small Libre Office texts, facebook.
        In 2010 I bought my wife an Acer Aspire One AO521 notebook computer. It ran OK with Kubuntu 12.04 but performance improved significantly when I added another 1GB of RAM, just as Claydoh says. She's been using it daily every since then and it still has Kubuntu 12.04 on it. She browses, does email and watches the occasional YouTube video. Always runs it from the battery and plugs it in to recharge every night. He battery still lasts 2-3 hours but she rarely goes over an hour. Mostly around 30 minutes. She has LibreOffice on it and it runs OK, but she rarely uses it.

I'd do what Snowhog suggests and burn a LiveUSB using any version of Kubuntu you want to try. Odds are that if it runs from a LiveUSB OK, then it will more than likely run from the HD. Test your wired and wireless to make sure they connect. Test your sound. See if you can adjust your screen resolution to what you can accept.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 19, 2017, 07:41 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X