This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Printer Transition

I have a HP PhotoSmart 5520 wireless do it all. About a year old or so(out of warranty). Software is installed to the Windows side of my laptop and works though lately I have problems w/ it sustaining connectivity. Anyhow, though Kubuntu finds the printer, Do I need to install the software (disk) to Kubuntu too? Never really thought about it.

Thanks
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

No. Or at least I never had to.

[edit] The printers applet under system settings should install drivers for you when you add the printer. [/edit]
    Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 13, 2015, 10:51 AM.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Yea, kubuntu probably already has a driver for it; download one if it doesn't http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...20_series.html
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Yes, it had drivers to choose from. I just didn't know if I need to though now I'm close to shooting the printer. Thanks guys.
        HP15 -
        -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Install HPLIP and use it (or cups) to install the printer. If it needs to it will DL the latest driver from the HP website.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, hplip, definitely. (Even if you do (still) have problems, it's nice to have hplip and its toolbox installed and going for you.)

While you're at it, install hplip-gui, gives you "the" nice GUI something-or-other ("Printer Toolbox" interface, I think).
            Find it at K > Applications > System after you install both those packages, hplip and hplip-gui.

Install, investigate using Muon Package Manager.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'll do it. Went and got a usb printer cord this morning. Works though I didn't want the printer tethered to the laptop. The same wireless issue is with my 3 laptops. Pissy me. No more HP products which I have many of. This common wireless problem w/ little to know resolution and the "counterfeit" ink cartridge deal did it for me. Whining from my new (July) HP laptop.
              HP15 -

Comment

I have an HP LasterJet P1606dn connected to an ethernet port on my wifi modem. Using the HPLIP-gui (thanks for reminding me, Qqmike!) I gave it a static IP of 198.162.1.99 using the MAC address for identification. My dhcpd is set to dispense from *.100 to *.105. So, no matter who logs on they can use the printer. That also allows me to print from my iPhone 6+ using the free Dragon Printer app.

Over all I find HP printers the most Linux compatible of all that I have tried since I started using Linux in May of 1998. The ones I avoid are LexMark and Cannon.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah this started a year or sago when I had Windows only. I have since changed the printer to a static IP, found a back door to disable sleep mode, changed channels, channel rates, primary/secondary dns values in modem. Seems the general consensus leads to a little pissant battery interior to the printer. I thinks it's a driver but I'll likely never know.
                  HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                  X