This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define HP Network Printer in Kubuntu

I have just converted to Kubuntu 14.04 from Linux Mint. Under Mint, my wireless HP printer installed and worked with no problems using CUPS admin tool, and 'Add network Printer'.
    Under Kubuntu there is no CUPS admin tool.

My printer connects wirelessly to my Router where my desktop is also connected. They are on the same subnet.
    The Kubuntu Add printer dialog detects the printer at its IP address, and gives me the option of using the IP address and socket 9100 or using CUPS and providing a driver.
    I tried both cases and in each case when I try to print a test page I get the message from the 'PRint Queue' button that 'Filter Failed'. The 'rendering' process however completes.

I also tried to add the printer using the HPLIP tool. This works fine when the printer is connected directly via the USB cable; I can print test pages, and also from applications (Kate). But the HPLIP tool refuses to see the printer as a 'wireless' printer, probably because my Desktop has no wireless hardware on it. It also refuses to see the printer as a direct ethernet connection. Why I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

pgmer6809

To HPLIP, the printer is not "wireless". That would be so even if your Kubuntu desktop had wireless hardware. In fact, my HPLIP calls ethernet "Network/Ethernet/Wireless network" now.

This shouldn't be necessary, but I've had success by fixing the printer's IP address on the printer, using its keypad functions. Choose an address in your subnet, but outside the range handed out by DHCP from your router. F.ex., my router is at 192.168.1.1, and gives addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 to our devices, so I fixed the printer at 192.168.1.200. Then, in HPLIP, I can select "Network..." and click the Advanced Options button, and check "Manual Discovery" and enter the IP address. I lit on this approach originally because Win XP screwed up so easily otherwise.

To check for connectivity, I can ping the printer. Cool that they've bothered to implement that. (If you don't know what ping is, I open a konsole and type ping 192.168.1.200. "Pings" of 0.4 ms, even less than that of the router, about 0.54 ms.)

Another thing to help diagnosis is to look at your router's list of connected devices; that should tell you if the printer is talking to the router.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Wireless Printer Install -- Solved

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      To HPLIP, the printer is not "wireless". That would be so even if your Kubuntu desktop had wireless hardware. In fact, my HPLIP calls ethernet "Network/Ethernet/Wireless network" now.

This shouldn't be necessary, but I've had success by fixing the printer's IP address on the printer, using its keypad functions. Choose an address in your subnet, but outside the range handed out by DHCP from your router. F.ex., my router is at 192.168.1.1, and gives addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 to our devices, so I fixed the printer at 192.168.1.200. Then, in HPLIP, I can select "Network..." and click the Advanced Options button, and check "Manual Discovery" and enter the IP address. I lit on this approach originally because Win XP screwed up so easily otherwise.

To check for connectivity, I can ping the printer. Cool that they've bothered to implement that. (If you don't know what ping is, I open a konsole and type ping 192.168.1.200. "Pings" of 0.4 ms, even less than that of the router, about 0.54 ms.)

Another thing to help diagnosis is to look at your router's list of connected devices; that should tell you if the printer is talking to the router.
      Thanks very much for the hint.
      I retried using HPLIP and manually specifying the IP address (which was assigned by DHCP) and now HPLIP can find the right driver and print a test page.
      Not sure why this is reqd under KDE and not MINT but who cares.

I take your point about applying a static IP to the printer, but this printer has absolutely NO control buttons or keypad. I cant even figure out how to force it to manually feed in a page. It has an on/off button, and a 'wireless reset' button and that is it. Fortunately its IP address does not change all that often.

Thanks again.
      Pgmer6809

Comment

Originally posted by pgmer6809 View Post
        ... applying a static IP to the printer, but this printer has absolutely NO control buttons or keypad.
        Your router might be able to assign it a fixed IP, based on its MAC address. (On my TP-Link it's called the "Static IP lease list" and it's on the Advanced Setup - LAN page. I found the MAC address from some other page on the router, but arp should list it, and I'm sure nmap can so it, maybe sudo nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24.) I use the list to fix the address of my Kubuntu desktop, so that other computers can NFS mount it's storage (usually clonezilla).
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Having been an HP printer user for as long as I can remember, I too was used to the manual configuration. However, these days I find hp-toolbox does a fine job of finding and installing my printer. I used it exclusively when I switched to 15.04.

One issue I had was for some reason it wanted the FAX ppd to be in a .gz file and it wasn't, All I did was navigate to the fax~~~.ppd location and compress the ppd into a gz and hp-toolbox worked (installed the FAX too).

As far as your printer - I don't see where you tell us the model - so I can't help you there. Mine is wired to the network, but as jlittle points out - that won't matter. I've had no trouble with DHCP assigning the IP. I even print using the internet no problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X