Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me how to remove installed wallpapers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me how to remove installed wallpapers?

I've found where they are--in root. So there's no gui way to remove them. I've tried the command sudo rem (& remove) Root/usr/share/wallpapers/'wallpaper name', and they fail. How does one do this?

Also, I want to get the last three default Ubuntu wallpapers; how do I get those? It appears that Shuttleworth REALLY doesn't want them out in the wild (usable separately from stock Ubuntu). I couldn't find them even with a search on the wallpaper name in Ubuntu's file system.

There are other wallpapers I'd like, likely some of the KDE's Mint's, and Cinnamon's. So, I'm interested in learning how to get them, too. I know that each has its own web site with an art section containing wallpapers that are downloadable into their own installations, but I want to transfer them to my Kubuntu.
    Last edited by RLynwood; Mar 28, 2015, 08:04 AM.

open "muon package manager" NOT "muon software center" or "muon discover" and search "wallpapers" you will find lots ,,,,,,look for installed ones to remove them .

you can save any image and then set it as a wallpaper/desktop background ,,,,,,,,,,,,

if you realy need to brake out the big guns ,,,,,,,,then it's
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/wallpapers/'wallpaper name'
    BUT ,,, be very careful that you have the path and the name exactly correct as this command will remove anything ,,,,even a system file that is critical to the running of the system .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Wow! Thank you Vinny. That's just what I was looking for. I haven't tried it yet; I will after running a couple of errands. Thanks, again.

Any word on how to get Ubuntu's last three default desktop wallpapers? And Mint's, Cinnamon's?

Comment

Warning: sudo rm -rf

This is a VERY DANGEROUS command if the path to use it on is not cited exactly.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

google is your friend ,,,,,,,,,,, https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-wallpapers

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Re. the Pkg. Mgr. way ... easier said than done. The packages are just that--packages, with no breakdown. So, I'd hate to remove everything just to get rid of what I don't want. And, with an already broken system, I'll not chance messing things up further with the cmd. line approach, even though I'm pretty sure I could get that right.

Son of a gun, I lucked up. I had installed an auxiliary wallpapers package--or I thought I had--with the pkg. mgr. and so removed only that, leaving the default KDE package, and--guess what? That removed all of what I wanted removed and left the very one from the default package that I wanted to keep. Amazing. Now I have exactly what I wanted except for the recent default Ubuntu desktops and perhaps a few from Mint and/or Cinnamon.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              Thanks, Vinny. That did it. And I've bookmarked it in case I want more.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
                Now I have exactly what I wanted except for the recent default Ubuntu desktops and perhaps a few from Mint and/or Cinnamon.
                I gave you a link to the default ubuntu wallpaper .deb's/packages !

just click the dropdown arrow by the ver. of *buntu you are running and then select the pakage file for the ver. of ubuntu wallpapers you want.

if you dont get a popup asking if you want to open in Qapt then save the file(DL it)and right click it and open with Qapt ,,,,,,,

VINNY

OOPS ,,,,,,,see ya found it
                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                X