This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long does an installation run? - no progress bar visible

machine: Lenovo z50 W8.1 as default OS. 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

I am installing from a USB stick (YUMI) kubuntu 14.04 as a parallel OS; Dutch version. Internet connection via WIFI (speed 140Mbps).

Graphical installation.

Installation is already running for an hour and almost for all this time I have the information that the installation is almost done.

No progress bar is to be seen.

How can I see when the installation is done?

How long should I wait?

Any other adivice?

Thanks in advance for all hints!

Do the install using a wired connection; or start again and do not choose to update/install packages from the 'Net during installation.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your advice I will do the installtion without updates.

Comment

Normally much quicker than an hour. And there certainly should be a progress bar, near the bottom of the screen if I recall correctly.

Do you mean it's been an hour in total? Or an hour that it's been saying "almost done"?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

One thought - are you doing any creation or resizing of partitions during the install? That can easily take multiple hours. Otherwise, it shouldn't. And notwithstanding what Snowhog says, I've done installations with updates over wifi, on a laptop, in a shorter time (sorry ... can't remember exactly!)

Comment

Thanks for time indications. Yes, I did resize partitions and forgot that only this can take some time.

Currently something went completely wrong in general and W8.1 is fixing a problem (errors on the harddisc is indicated) which is indicated as taking more than an hour. No clue what is going on right now. Take the only chance I have a let the system run.

Once w8.1 is running again, I will restart the installation and let it run over night.

Comment

I don't know if it's a generally good idea, but I've got into a habit of doing any resizing as a separate piece of work beforehand, e.g. using the partition manager from the live usb. That way the time it takes - and recovering from any issues! - is separate from installation of a new OS.

Comment

Imo, installation should not take an hour; on my systems it has taken, perhaps, only 20 minutes or so, that's with installing 3rd-party software, but without doing updates during installation.

I agree with the above re preparing your HDD/SSD: do the partitioning as a separate step BEFORE starting the Kubuntu installer CD or USB. This way, you control more of the steps, and you have a better chance of isolating issues. Also, imo, you should see some sort of progress bar or message, informing you that the installation is in progress or some such thing. Use GParted Live CD (or live USB) to do this partitioning work on your HDD/SSD:
                http://gparted.org/livecd.php
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for your comment. Based on my today's experience I agree to your separation of work.

Comment

Thanks for all helpful comments.

I oberserved following problems and list them here including countermeasures:

- I used an USB2 live stick in a USB3 connector. This does not allow booting from the stick. => make sure the USB version match
                    - There was an reading problem at the USB live stick => change the stick.

Considering both things mentioned the installation went without any problem.

Comment

We are happy you got it, 52ROSt!
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                      X