Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get an image preview in default display of videos?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's what that yields:
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Comment

I'd have to think about this, or google it, or wait for someone else to jump in (this is a common error message, btw).

Personally ... I would simply re-boot and try the commands again ;-)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

for example,
        http://askubuntu.com/questions/34614...orarily-unavai
        A common solution seems to be:
        sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
        You may also need to delete the lock file in the cache directory
        sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
        But I think a re-boot will also work, and it certainly will not damage anything.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
          Here's what that yields:
          E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
          E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
          if you do not have another package manager open do
          Code:
          sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/lock
          then try running the
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install muon
          once agin .

this "may/may not" have happend by closing "muon discover" wile it was still "installing/trying to install" muon ,,,,,,and leaving a stale lock file in place .......
          "muon discover" last time I used it did not give much indication that it was doing anything even though it was .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Now, back to those thumbnails. What's the difference between ffmpegthumbs and ffmpegthumbnails and which is better, or should I use both?

Comment

Both seem to be available via the Package Installer.

Comment

Hmm, in my 14.04, ffmpegthumbnails does NOT seem to be there. I used ffmpegthumbs and it works fine.
                I take it you did get Muon Package Manager installed (not just Muon Discoverer)?

Comment

Yes, I did. I was in the process of writing a description of what all has happened but got sidetracked.
                  I rebooted the computer, per your suggestion, then checked for updates and found that my earlier attempt to install kubuntu-restricted-extras had stopped at the point where it asked me for permission to install MS's proprietary TT Fonts and was waiting to be installed. I installed them, then used the terminal to install Muon Package Installer. Then I used that to look up the program descriptions of ffmpegthumbs and ffmpegthumbnailer. I saw that -thumbs was a component of the KDE Multimedia package (I've forgotten what that last word was, maybe Set). So I installed all of the components that seemed like I'd use, including -thumbs, just not any of the programming ones. Then rebooted and looked for the thumbnails. They weren't there. Then I found a Preview button on Dolfin's tool bar and clicked it. Voila! It showed thumbnails of all the components of the highlighted folder. Then I found that I had to do that for EVERY folder I wanted to have thumbnailed. But, once done, it applied to all instances of those videos, audios, etc., wherever they may be. That that button was telling KDE to show a thumbnail of that file regardless of how many instances of it there were or what partition/location it was in. So I previewed/thumbnailed all of my videos, audios, and the contents of any other folder that I wanted thumbnails of in my main personal information partition. Done.

Comment

Oh, then I used the pkg mgr to install ksplice and rebooted. Can you tell me how ksplice is viewed in the Kubuntu community? I think it's a really neat tool. But I think I've read somewhere that Linus is working on something like that. What do you and the others know about that?

Comment

Nice write-up, thanks.

As for training Dolphin, maybe this:
                      Configure Dolphin, General, Previews, check video files (ffmpegthumbs, etc.)

I've never used ksplice, but I'm sure someone here has.

Comment

I did that, too. Sorry for not mentioning it. I went there and checked every box that looked like it had anything to do with a video, audio, or image I might want to have a preview of.
                        Thanks for the compliment. Normally, computer types think I'm way too wordy and don't read most of what I write and respond to some portion that they recognized.

Comment

Ah, I see you've mistaken me for a "computer type." ;-) As for wordiness, around here, we like words and appreciate words ... feel free to use all you wish.

Comment

It's not the number of words but the relevance of words that matters.

Then again, you're right that some "techies" pick on one bit of what someone says and ignore the rest.
                            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thank you both for your kind words. I really appreciate that.

Two things re. Qqmike's comment above about ffmpegthumbnails not showing up as being in his system: I just checked to see if ffmpegthumbs and kubuntu-restricted-extras appeared in my system via the three Muons. Discover didn't show either, but the other two showed both (apparently, Discover isn't worth anything). And I saw that the other program that you were looking for is called ffmpegthumbnailer, the -er making the difference; check for that. Oh, I also read that -nails is a KDE program and -er is not, so even if you don't have -er and thought you did (you still may), you're probably fine.

Btw, I also installed kubuntu-restricted-add-ons and just now checked to see what the pkg mgr said about it. It said that it shouldn't be installed directly, that it should be installed automatically as part of restricted extras. Should I remove both and then just install extras?

Comment

So, these three do show up in my Muon Package Manager:
                                ffmpegthumbs, mplayerthumbs and kffmpegthumbnailer. (In the past, I have installed them all, no harm done, just probably an overkill. Now I have only ffmpegthumbs.)
                                You're right, ffmpegthumbnails was a typo and does not appear to be a package.

"Should I remove both and then just install extras?" No, it should be OK now, especially since you did install kubuntu-restricted-extras (which does also install the -add-ons and anything else needed). I can't imagine any harm that could be done. This is an advantage advocates of the command line point out: when you install by command line (say using Konsole), you get the messages and cautions printed to your screen. In your case, here, this is not a big issue, just leave things as they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X