Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get an image preview in default display of videos?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get an image preview in default display of videos?

With all of KDE's/Plasma's visual eyecandy and sophistication, why does KDE/Plasma 4 show only a reel icon for videos rather than an image from that video, as Unity does? Can Plasma 4 display such an image preview? How?

You mean this? -->

Video thumbnail previews in Dolphin

Installed: ffmpegthumbs
    (You can also do these: mplayerthumbs and kffmpegthumbnailer)

Then open Configure Dolphin, General, Previews, check video files (ffmpegthumbs, etc.).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

results of Qqmike's instructions .................................

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Sorry, but I don't understand Qqmike's instructions. Could you be a little more specific? That's what I'm looking for alright. Btw, Vinny, I see that you use Download Helper. I can't play videos in my Firefox now. I've thought that it was because Google has blocked their play for those who're using DH, but apparently that 's not the case. Can you guess what's blocking the playing of YT videos in my Fx?

Comment

Open your Muon Package Manager and install this:
          ffmpegthumbs
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When you have Muon Package Manager open, also make sure you have this installed:
            kubuntu-restricted-extras

Comment

btw, You may have Muon Discover (under K > Applications > System). Use that to install Muan Package Manager (which will be located under the same menu), then use it to install the two programs I listed above. kubuntu-restricted-extras may solve your YT issue (sounds like you may need a flash player or the like).

Comment

Thanks for all your help and direction. I did the font changes you suggested, and they definitely are better. But the white backgrounding still obscures the letters, and the print still isn't as black and sharp as I'd like. I decided to keep the dpi at 96, as the higher numbers yielded too-large letters. Small is fine as long as it's sharp and clear, as it is in Unity.

I installed ten programs and utilities, including the Muon Software Center/Package Manager, but I couldn't find any reference to either ffmpegthumbs or kubuntu-restricted-extras. I know I should install the latter; I'd just had forgotten about it from my regular Ubuntu days. They just didn't show up as available. Any further ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
                  Sorry, but I don't understand Qqmike's instructions. Could you be a little more specific? That's what I'm looking for alright.
                  well @Qqmike beet me to that

Btw, Vinny, I see that you use Download Helper. I can't play videos in my Firefox now.
                  NOW ,,,,you meen you could watch youtube at one point and then all of a sudden you could not?

I've thought that it was because Google has blocked their play for those who're using DH, but apparently that 's not the case.
                  no it is not ,,,,no blockage @hear

Can you guess what's blocking the playing of YT videos in my Fx?
                  all night

but lets ask questions instead ..... what dose
                  Code:
                  dpkg -l | grep flash
                  show ?

did you install any extensions like flashblock and forget to white list youtube.com ?

if you use a different browser can you watch ?

VINNY
                  Last edited by vinnywright; Mar 12, 2015, 09:43 PM.
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I am using the kffmpegthumbnailer ........install it or ffmpegthumbs with
                    Code:
                    sudo apt install <package name>
                    where <package name> is the one you want .

I think you were looking in muon software center ,,,,,,muon package manager is a different animal .

you can substitute kubuntu-restricted-extras for <package name> as well .

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

First, I gotta tell you that I really appreciate your responsiveness and staying with me.
                      Yes, I'd been watching YT vids for a long time and downloading some with DH, then, sometime, and I don't remember when or what changed, I no longer could watch a video in Firefox. I can watch them in either Chromium or Opera (I keep all). And, yes, I do have a slew of add-ons, including Adblock Plus, and I have the Flash plugin, which I've just updated. I guess the thing to do is to remove the add-ons one at a time till I determine which one is blocking yt's playing. I haven't whitelisted YT in Flashblock, and I don't see how to do that.

Here's what your terminal suggestion yielded:
                      lynn@lynn-K:~$ dpkg -l | grep flash
                      ii flashplugin-installer 11.2.202.451ubuntu0.14.10.1 amd64 Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

What's the difference between ffmpegthumbnailer and ffmpegthumbs? Since neither shows up in either of Muon's pkg installation programs, I have no description of them other than a 'net search, which I've just done. Both seem useful. But why should one have to install a widget to get them; they're a default in Unity.

Comment

I just tried installing kubuntu-restricted-extras via terminal; it stopped at the acceptance of MS's eula step and wouldn't respond to my pressing Enter. So I'm still stuck. How to install that (remember, it doesn't show up in either of Muon's pkg/program installation programs)?

Comment

One detail, just so we are on the same page here ...
                          Are you using Muon Discoverer/Software Center? or is it actually the better Muon Package Manager? (We are advocating that you should have and use the latter.)

Let's open Muon Discoverer:
                          K > Applications > System > Software Center/Muon Discoverer
                          In the search box at the top, type
                          Muon Package Manager
                          If it is NOT already installed, click Install.
                          If it is installed then OK, exit (do not Uninstall it, iow).

So now you should have Muon Package Manager, and it is best to use it instead of Muon Discoverer (which is more limited).

To open it:
                          K > Applications > System > Package Manager/Muon Package Manager

Comment

I thought I'd installed it last night, but when I checked a while ago, I saw that it had not been installed. But, Muon Discover isn't installing its Package Manager; it says Starting but never proceeds; it seems stuck. I've tried this twice. Don't know what's wrong.

Comment

Try the command line.

Open Konsole:
                              K > Applications > System > Terminal/Konsole

Type:

sudo apt-get update

and press Enter.

Type:

sudo apt-get install muon

and press Enter.

We hope that will do it. Then look for it, as above
                              K > Applications > System > Package Manager/Muon Package Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X