This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from Ubuntu Unity desktop to Kubuntu desktop

I've just completed a much delayed upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS (via 12.04 LTS). The Unity desktop really isn't to my taste and I would like to try the Kubuntu desktop but without having to do an install from scratch. I believe that, in principle, I could install the package kubuntu-desktop and then uninstall ubuntu-desktop but I have a few preliminary questions:

1. Will this give me the same result as if I had done a install from scratch of Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS ? If not what are the main differences ?

2. Out of interest, while both desktops are installed, how does the system know which one to run ? And can I switch between them and, if so, how ?

Currently running ubuntu 14.04 LTS, fully updated
    AMD Phenom II X3 705e Processor, 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM at 1.6GHz

1. In a word yes, the package name kubuntu-desktop is a meta package which will pull in (or pull down) all the KDE apps that you will find a Kubuntu liveDVD.

2. If you have two (or more) desktops installed you can select the desktop you want to use from the login screen.

Comment

...could install the package kubuntu-desktop and then uninstall ubuntu-desktop...

Desktop Metapackages : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MetaPackages

Removing desktop metapackages:

-
      Remove ubuntu-desktop

- How to completely remove kubuntu-desktop from Ubuntu

Comment

Many thanks NickStone and Wheel Inventor for your rapid and concise replies. They are just what I was hoping for.

Kind regards,

Mike

Comment

Welllll, this hasn't gone smoothly but I'm persevering. I installed package kubuntu-desktop using:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          A great many packages were installed but after logging out and back in again (and, eventually after restarting) there was no visible sign of another desktop.

So I logged out and from the login prompt I used <ctrl><alt>F1 to get a terminal session, logged in as myself and used:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
          There was no perceptible change after this.

I have taken a look through /etc and it seems to me suspicious that there's not much sign of kdm. There is /etc/kde4 but it's empty and nothing KDE-ish in /etc/init, /etc/init.d nor /etc/X11.

Am I missing something ?

Comment

I second that it's supposed to work this way.

I've successfully installed xfce on a *ubuntu base and it works.

You may not find many KDE user files or directories until you go through the first user login - that's when things are set up. At the login screen, do you have any buttons or dropdowns that include options like Ubuntu (recovery) and possibly even Kubuntu / KDE? Look in the corners of the screen as well as beside the user / password boxes.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by mikegm View Post
              A great many packages were installed but after logging out and back in again (and, eventually after restarting) there was no visible sign of another desktop.

I have taken a look through /etc and it seems to me suspicious that there's not much sign of kdm. There is /etc/kde4 but it's empty and nothing KDE-ish in /etc/init, /etc/init.d nor /etc/X11.

Am I missing something ?
              When you have more than one desktop environments installed, you have to select your desktop session in the login screen. And kubuntu doesn't install kdm by default anymore, it uses the same lightdm display manager (login screen) as ubuntu.

Comment

You were right guys; it was there all along. And now I seem to have a proper desktop !

Many thanks

Comment

Good to hear! And welcome (back?) to proper desktops

You should now be able to mark the thread [SOLVED]
                  I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                  X