This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

file manager question

I am assuming this kind of question is allowed, and I'm in the right section, if not feel free to move, or delete, I will understand.

I use Linux because I want to get away from Windows, however there are a few things that Windows got right, and the file manager is one of those. I have looked at a lot of file managers for linux, but I have not found one that comes close to Windows Explorer. I like being able to click on a link such as "My Computer", or now "This PC", and be able to see every disk, partition, usb and whatever. I know the whole Linux file system is set up differently than windows so there is no way to get something exactly like Windows Explorer. For the most part when it comes to finding files and folders on the "C drive", or "Root" is fine I'm happy with that. But I actually have 7 disk/partitions/usb's that I'm working with at the moment, I can go to Dolphin and on the left side open /media/drive/mount, or similar. But, then I have to open Krusader, and navigate to the folder, because trying to find it in Krusader is a hassle, it can be done and I do it, but it's easier in Dolphin to get the path, but Dolphin doesn't have the power of Krusader. Also, in Windows Explorer, I click on "Network", and it opens a folder that has all the networked computers and the shared folders. Again this can be done in Linux, but Explorer is easier.

Does anyone know of a file manager that is similar to Explorer?

If you enable the places panel, you should have a list called devices on the left hand side. In this list, I have my 6 disks/partitions listed. I can click on each and it opens the disk directly.

Comment

Once you get accustomed to the power of Dolphin you'll be swearing whenever you have to use Windows Explorer
      So yes, enable the Places in Dolphin and add the Services that fit your usage like the Simple Root Actions Menu and or Simple Mount Iso's.

Another I can't do without is the QuickAccess Browser Widget on the task bar, a very convenient way to browse your Home.

Have you discovered things like the F3, F4 and Alt+. functions? Something you can only dream about in Windows.

Comment

OK guys, thanks for the reply's, I have made most of the changes you mentioned, all except the the F-key and Alt+ functions. Those I am going to do my best to give them an honest chance. However, I hate keyboard shortcuts. I find it easier to click it with a mouse than to remember what key combination does what, but that's just me. Between some health issues and the medication for said issues, my memory isn't very good, I would have to write everything down, then find my sheet and find the combination I wanted then type it in, by that time I could have clicked on a few boxes and found what I am looking for.

Comment

Working...
        X