This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to Kubuntu

I made the permanent switch to Linux just after christmas 2013 and Ive never looked back.
    I started with Ubuntu 13.10 whilst waiting for 14.04

When 14.04 came out I installed the Ubuntu version, then discovered Kubuntu was the desktop for me, and I installed it ontop of the original Ubuntu destop.
    So my question is,
    Now Im happy with Kubuntu, would it be better to do a fresh install of Kubuntu rather than the current Ubuntu with Kubuntu on top? (if you see what I mean!)
    Before I get too many apps etc installed on my current system.

Thanks

Somewhere, there's a list of all the apps in Ubuntu-desktop so that you can uninstall them all in one go. I've just had a look and I can't find it (only out of date lists) but that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere!

If you could uninstall the Ubuntu-desktop and all the packages that came with it you'd basically be left with Kubuntu.

Without the list, though, removing all those old apps could take ages. If you think it be nice to have a clean slate then a reinstall may be easiest!

Congratulations on going 100% Linux BTW
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Would save some hassle if I could remove the Ubuntu stuff.
      But if not, if I download the kubuntu from here and install, I assume its 100% kubuntu without any ubuntu stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by xlc123 View Post
        I assume its 100% kubuntu without any ubuntu stuff?
        Depends what you mean, really! Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same under the hood, they just have a different desktop environment and default apps.

If you download a Kubuntu .iso and do a fresh installation you won't have the Unity desktop any more, and like I said you'll have different apps (Kate instead of Gedit etc.)

If you really miss any of the old apps then you can always reinstall them, but sometimes this pulls a load of dependencies which some people don't like because it takes up some disk space. I don't really see it as a problem though, hard drive space is cheap and apps aren't massive... use whatever suits you best, unless you have a really small hard drive!

As for that list of unity stuff I mentioned earlier (so you can remove it instead of doing a fresh installation of Kubuntu), I just ran this command on my system:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install -s ubuntu-desktop
        The -s option runs a simulation only (i.e. I didn't really install all that stuff).

Here's what it told me it would install:

Code:
        The following extra packages will be installed:
          account-plugin-aim account-plugin-facebook account-plugin-flickr
          account-plugin-google account-plugin-jabber account-plugin-salut
          account-plugin-twitter account-plugin-windows-live account-plugin-yahoo
          activity-log-manager activity-log-manager-control-center adium-theme-ubuntu
          aisleriot apg appmenu-qt5 apport-gtk aptdaemon-data apturl avahi-utils
          bamfdaemon baobab branding-ubuntu checkbox-gui checkbox-ng
          checkbox-ng-service compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default
          cups-pk-helper dconf-cli deja-dup deja-dup-backend-gvfs dmz-cursor-theme
          doc-base duplicity empathy empathy-common eog espeak-data evince
          evince-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-online-accounts
          example-content file-roller folks-common friends friends-dispatcher
          friends-facebook friends-twitter gcc gcc-4.8 gedit gedit-common geoclue
          geoclue-ubuntu-geoip gir1.2-accounts-1.0 gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
          gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4 gir1.2-dee-1.0
          gir1.2-ebook-1.2 gir1.2-ebookcontacts-1.2 gir1.2-edataserver-1.2
          gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdata-0.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gmenu-3.0
          gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 gir1.2-gnomekeyring-1.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0
          gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0
          gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 gir1.2-gudev-1.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0
          gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-messagingmenu-1.0
          gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 gir1.2-notify-0.7 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-peas-1.0
          gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-secret-1 gir1.2-signon-1.0 gir1.2-totem-1.0
          gir1.2-totem-plparser-1.0 gir1.2-unity-5.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gir1.2-webkit-3.0
          gir1.2-wnck-3.0 gkbd-capplet gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-bluetooth
          gnome-calculator gnome-contacts gnome-control-center-shared-data
          gnome-disk-utility gnome-font-viewer gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
          gnome-mahjongg gnome-menus gnome-mines gnome-orca gnome-power-manager
          gnome-screensaver gnome-screenshot gnome-session-bin gnome-session-canberra
          gnome-session-common gnome-settings-daemon-schemas gnome-sudoku
          gnome-system-log gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data
          gnome-user-share gnomine gsettings-ubuntu-schemas
          gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-tools gstreamer1.0-alsa
          gstreamer1.0-nice gstreamer1.0-plugins-base-apps gstreamer1.0-tools
          gtk2-engines-murrine gtk3-engines-unico gucharmap guile-2.0-libs gvfs-bin
          gvfs-fuse hud ibus ibus-gtk3 ibus-pinyin ibus-table indicator-appmenu
          indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime indicator-keyboard indicator-messages
          indicator-power indicator-printers indicator-session indicator-sound
          intel-gpu-tools landscape-client-ui-install language-selector-gnome
          libaccount-plugin-1.0-0 libaccount-plugin-generic-oauth
          libaccount-plugin-google libaccounts-qt5-1 libasan0 libatk-adaptor
          libatomic1 libbamf3-2 libc-dev-bin libc6-dev libcanberra-gtk-module
          libcanberra-gtk0 libcolumbus1 libcolumbus1-common libcompizconfig0
          libdbusmenu-qt5 libdecoration0 libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libdotconf0
          libecal-1.2-16 libedata-cal-1.2-23 libespeak1 libevdocument3-4 libevview3-3
          libfarstream-0.2-2 libfolks-eds25 libfolks-telepathy25 libfolks25 libframe6
          libfriends0 libgail-common libgail18 libgc1c2 libgcc-4.8-dev libgdata-common
          libgdata13 libgee-0.8-2 libgee2 libgeis1 libgexiv2-2 libglewmx1.10
          libgnome-bluetooth11 libgnome-control-center1 libgnome-menu-3-0
          libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd8 libgoa-1.0-0b libgoa-1.0-common libgrail6
          libgrip0 libgsettings-qt1 libgtkmm-3.0-1 libgucharmap-2-90-7 libgweather-3-6
          libgweather-common libgxps2 libhud2 libido3-0.1-0 libitm1 liblouis-data
          liblouis2 libmessaging-menu0 libmetacity-private0a libminiupnpc8 libnatpmp1
          libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnotify-bin libnux-4.0-0 libnux-4.0-common
          liboauth0 libopencc1 liboxideqt-qmlplugin liboxideqtcore0 libpeas-1.0-0
          libpeas-common libpocketsphinx1 libpoppler-glib8 libportaudio2 libprotobuf8
          libproxy1-plugin-gsettings libproxy1-plugin-networkmanager libpyzy-1.0-0
          libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5feedback5 libqt5gui5 libqt5multimedia5
          libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5organizer5 libqt5positioning5
          libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml-graphicaleffects libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5
          libqt5sensors5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5svg5 libqt5test5
          libqt5webkit5 libqt5webkit5-qmlwebkitplugin libqt5widgets5 libqt5xml5
          libquadmath0 libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-ogltrans
          libreoffice-presentation-minimizer libreoffice-style-human librest-0.7-0
          librhythmbox-core8 librsync1 libsignon-extension1 libsignon-glib1
          libsignon-plugins-common1 libsignon-qt5-1 libsonic0 libsphinxbase1
          libsystemd-journal0 libt1-5 libtelepathy-farstream3 libthumbnailer0
          libtimezonemap1 libtotem0 libtsan0 libufe-xidgetter0 libunity-action-qt1
          libunity-control-center1 libunity-core-6.0-9 libunity-gtk2-parser0
          libunity-gtk3-parser0 libunity-misc4 libunity-webapps0 libunityvoice1
          libupstart1 liburl-dispatcher1 libuuid-perl libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common
          libwacom-common libwacom2 libwmf0.2-7-gtk libwnck-3-0 libwnck-3-common
          libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xkb1
          libxres1 libyaml-tiny-perl light-themes linux-libc-dev manpages-dev
          mcp-account-manager-uoa metacity-common mousetweaks nautilus-sendto-empathy
          nautilus-share network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp-gnome notify-osd
          notify-osd-icons nux-tools onboard onboard-data oneconf oneconf-common
          overlay-scrollbar overlay-scrollbar-gtk2 overlay-scrollbar-gtk3
          oxideqt-codecs pkg-config plainbox-provider-checkbox
          plainbox-provider-resource-generic plainbox-secure-policy
          plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets
          python-commandnotfound python-debtagshw python-defer python-gconf
          python-gdbm python-gi-cairo python-gnomekeyring python-ibus python-lockfile
          python-notify python-oneconf python-piston-mini-client python-smbc
          python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python3-brlapi python3-cairo
          python3-checkbox-ng python3-checkbox-support python3-crypto
          python3-feedparser python3-gi-cairo python3-httplib2 python3-louis
          python3-lxml python3-mako python3-markupsafe python3-oauthlib
          python3-oneconf python3-piston-mini-client python3-plainbox python3-pyatspi
          python3-pyparsing python3-requests python3-speechd python3-urllib3
          python3-xdg qt-at-spi qtdeclarative5-accounts-plugin
          qtdeclarative5-dialogs-plugin qtdeclarative5-localstorage-plugin
          qtdeclarative5-privatewidgets-plugin qtdeclarative5-qtfeedback-plugin
          qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin
          qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-extras-browser-plugin
          qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-extras-browser-plugin-assets
          qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin qtdeclarative5-unity-action-plugin
          qtdeclarative5-window-plugin remmina remmina-common remmina-plugin-rdp
          remmina-plugin-vnc rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-mozilla
          rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugin-magnatune
          rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist rhythmbox-plugins seahorse sessioninstaller
          shotwell shotwell-common signon-keyring-extension signon-plugin-oauth2
          signon-plugin-password signon-ui signond simple-scan sni-qt software-center
          software-center-aptdaemon-plugins software-properties-gtk speech-dispatcher
          speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins sphinx-voxforge-hmm-en sphinx-voxforge-lm-en
          ssh-askpass-gnome system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome
          telepathy-idle telepathy-indicator thunderbird-gnome-support totem
          totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins transmission-common
          transmission-gtk ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-docs ubuntu-mono
          ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk ubuntu-session ubuntu-settings ubuntu-sounds
          ubuntu-sso-client-qt ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-ui-toolkit-theme
          ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntu-wallpapers-trusty ubuntuone-client-data unity
          unity-asset-pool unity-control-center unity-control-center-signon
          unity-greeter unity-gtk-module-common unity-gtk2-module unity-gtk3-module
          unity-lens-applications unity-lens-files unity-lens-friends unity-lens-music
          unity-lens-photos unity-lens-video unity-scope-audacious
          unity-scope-calculator unity-scope-chromiumbookmarks unity-scope-clementine
          unity-scope-colourlovers unity-scope-devhelp unity-scope-firefoxbookmarks
          unity-scope-gdrive unity-scope-gmusicbrowser unity-scope-gourmet
          unity-scope-guayadeque unity-scope-home unity-scope-manpages
          unity-scope-musicstores unity-scope-musique unity-scope-openclipart
          unity-scope-texdoc unity-scope-tomboy unity-scope-video-remote
          unity-scope-virtualbox unity-scope-yelp unity-scope-zotero
          unity-scopes-master-default unity-scopes-runner unity-services
          unity-settings-daemon unity-voice-service unity-webapps-common
          unity-webapps-qml unity-webapps-service update-manager update-notifier
          usb-creator-gtk vino webaccounts-extension-common webapp-container
          webbrowser-app xdg-user-dirs-gtk xdiagnose xterm xul-ext-unity
          xul-ext-webaccounts xul-ext-websites-integration zenity zenity-common
        So, we can assume that all of the above is Unity stuff that isn't required for Kubuntu (or it would have been installed already on my system).

So, you could log in to a Kubuntu session and do:

Code:
        sudo apt-get remove --purge *list above*
        ...and that should give you the same as you would get by doing a fresh Kubuntu installation, without having the fuss of actually reinstalling.

Hope that helps!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

after you remove the list then install the package kubuntu-desktop (just incase) . it will restore all the default stuff for kubuntu.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

G'day folks

I am a recent convert to *buntu, from WinXP, and also prefer KDE. I have been playing with multiple install combinations on multiple machines to also ascertain whether a clean Kubuntu install is preferable to kubuntu-desktop over Ubuntu. I don't have concerns about disk space, and wondered if the Ubuntu base may be providing something extra, without obvious clutter.

One important difference I have noticed is that Kubuntu doesn't install driver software for the scanner in my HP Photosmart c7280 MFP, whereas Ubuntu does. The print function works with the "c7200 series" driver provided, but not the scanner. The Muon Discoverer does not seem to have the HPLIP package in it, but after downloading the Ubuntu Software Centre, I was able to install the HPLIP Toolkit, and set up the MFP properly, so the scanner now works on the Kubuntu only installations.

I haven't finally decided, but am leaning towards the Ubuntu with kubuntu-desktop as my preference, for what it's worth in this discussion.

Cheers

Comment

mmm, thats interesting frankus333, I think I may leave it as is for now, everything seems to be working fine.

Comment

When I install Kubuntu, I have a list of extra packages to install. For my HP printer, I install "hplip-gui" and "xsane". The latter gives the scanning capability.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  When I install Kubuntu, I have a list of extra packages to install. For my HP printer, I install "hplip-gui" and "xsane". The latter gives the scanning capability.
                  Thanks NoWorries. I guess if you know what you want you can customise selectively. I am still building up such knowledge. I installed other scanner apps including xsane, but the problem only got fixed using HPLIP Tool Kit.

In my so far limited experience I have valued the availability of extra packages to try out without having to explore to find them. In my initial explorations with Ubuntu 13.10, I installed XFCE and LXDE desktops as well as KDE. The only partial downside seemd to be the crowded menus. (My three machines are old, so experimenting to find best video result was a priority initially.)

Other things noticed were that gparted seemed to be able to perform a partition adjustment I was experimenting with, whereas KDE Partition Manager would not, and the LXDE file manager performed a file search by dates better than the others.

I imagine in the future I will reach the stage of being able to set up a new installation with everything I have come to know and love, as you seem to have done.

Cheers

Comment

Muon Discover while now the default is not the best package manager for finding some non application stuff. You may want to use the Muon Package Manager for that it is not as flash but is much more detailed and easier to use.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                      Muon Discover while now the default is not the best package manager for finding some non application stuff. You may want to use the Muon Package Manager for that it is not as flash but is much more detailed and easier to use.
                      Thanks sithlord48

I also noticed there is a "Muon Software Centre", which does not list HPLIP either. I found Muon Package Manager in this software centre and installed it. It provided a comprehensive list of packages under the heading of HPLIP, a couple of which have not been installed on my system yet, perhaps because they are in the Trusty Proposed phase.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X