Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Offline Folders under 8.10 Live CD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Offline Folders under 8.10 Live CD?

I have offline folders enabled on a network share on an XP laptop. Those offline files are viewable and editable under XP when I'm off the network.

I booted the 8.10 Live CD to check hardware compatibility, and all seemd fine. There was a file I needed to open to get some wireless network info off of. It was located in the offline folder. The folder appeared in Dolphin, but when I opened it, it was empty. All other files/folders displayed properly. I thought offline folders and files were simply synchronzed copies. Is that not the case? Would I still ahve this problem if Kubuntu were installed on the laptop (dual boot)?

Steve
    Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.

Re: Windows Offline Folders under 8.10 Live CD?

Windows XP file security, NTFS, will not recognize Linux file security permissions. While you may be able to list the file, I do believe the file security within the file itself will block any Linux attempt to gain access. Windows NTFS is proprietary to Microsoft, and Microsoft is totally unwilling to give up details for free to Linux users.

I don't know of a work-around. Maybe someone else knows of one. (I am presuming you have done several Google searches on this topic.)

Comment

Working...
    X