Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu? Kubuntu? Replacing Vista with UBUNTU on HP Entertainment Laptop!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu? Kubuntu? Replacing Vista with UBUNTU on HP Entertainment Laptop!

I purchased a HP Pavilion Entertainment Lap Top PC w/Vista! Sorry I did! I would like to replace Vista with Ubuntu which I have ran off of the disk several times! All works great and I have no trouble with the OS at all except for two articles!

As Follows:

1. I cant seem to find out how to get on the internet! My laptop is set up for wireless and all is well with vista but how do I tell Ubuntu to go wireless?

2. I have a Kodak ESP5 all purpose printer! How do I make Ubuntu recognize my printer?

All help appreciated and please make it simple for I am in my late 70's and far from as sharp as I once thought I was.

Thanks in Advance
    HalEthridge

Re: Ubuntu? Kubuntu? Replacing Vista with UBUNTU on HP Entertainment Laptop!

I don't know your experience with Linux, but I would suggest a dual boot install with Vista first. This would allow you time to ensure Kubuntu will satisfy all your computing needs. Afaik the Kodak ESP5 printer is not compatible with linux e.g no drivers, I could be wrong but a quick google shows a no go.
    Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Heartily agree. Run a dual-boot setup first.

This is probably one of, if not the, best guides on dual-booting you'll find. I, as well as others here in KFN have used it:
      The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Don't know what is mentioned in the Guide, but for my work machine I used WUBI to do the install. Runs great and didn't have to do any partition reconfigurations. I think WUBI works with VISTA. Can't say as we are still on XP.

Comment

Originally posted by HalEthridge
          I purchased a HP Pavilion Entertainment Lap Top PC w/Vista! Sorry I did! I would like to replace Vista with Ubuntu which I have ran off of the disk several times! All works great and I have no trouble with the OS at all except for two articles!

As Follows:

1. I cant seem to find out how to get on the internet! My laptop is set up for wireless and all is well with vista but how do I tell Ubuntu to go wireless?

2. I have a Kodak ESP5 all purpose printer! How do I make Ubuntu recognize my printer?

All help appreciated and please make it simple for I am in my late 70's and far from as sharp as I once thought I was.

Thanks in Advance
          HalEthridge

Comment

Now you want to know whether you can get on the internet with your machine.

To ascertain that we'd really need the output of

Code:
            lspci
            in particular the line relating to your wifi chip.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
            X