Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to read Paint Shop Pro files with GIMP?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to read Paint Shop Pro files with GIMP?

Is there a way to get GIMP to read PSP files (.psp or .pspimage)?

I've found a web site dating from 1999 where someone was writing a library to do this, but there seems to be no more recent news.

Thanks.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: How to read Paint Shop Pro files with GIMP?

I think it can open them, but support is very, very limitted.

Comment

When you consider that few Windows programs can work with psp files - I would imagine a Linux program wouldn't have much of a chance. It's not exactly the most popular program in the Windows world.

I always just exported or saved my files in jpeg if I wanted to do something in another program.

Comment

I only want to open them. Then I can use GIMP to convert them to a more Linux-like format. It would be a pain to have to go back to Windows (ugh) to run PSP to convert them all to tiff or something.

There is one really great program called xnview which can open psp files too. It has the best slide show facility I know of (and I've looked at Digikam and Gwenview). You can save them as files which you can then edit by hand, if you're so inclined. And it does many mods too, such as rotation, brightness/contrast, etc. And there's a version for Linux -- not the latest, but that one is in the works. More on it at http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/endownload.html.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

As I said, GIMP can open them, but depending which of photoshops features were used in the creation of the PSD, it may not display correctly/at all in GIMP. Try it.

Comment

Working...
          X