This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I play WMV files?

I am totally new to Linux and a friend of mine adviced me to try Kubuntu as a first choice. I am now trying to play WMV files that I got by E-mail. Any ideas what I have to do to make Totem movie player or other movie players play the files?

Re: How can I play WMV files?

I don't use totem, but probably installing the codecs listed in the video codecs section in this thread helps.

Alternatively, install vlc (video lan client). I think the new version comes with it's own wmv support, if that's not there yet (multiverse repository), installing w32codecs should enable wmv support for vlc.

Comment

Originally posted by hallurg
      I am totally new to Linux and a friend of mine adviced me to try Kubuntu as a first choice. I am now trying to play WMV files that I got by E-mail. Any ideas what I have to do to make Totem movie player or other movie players play the files?
      I'm a Newbie too, Kubuntu user for 8 months now.
      Easiest way to install codecs is to get Automatix2, it is a package manager that will easily install the codecs .
      But I still can't get any WMV files in emails to open by a default program. ( I'm using Thunderbird ).
      I have to click on the media file attachment and download it to my desktop. from the desktop it will then open with kaffeine by default.
      I haven't been able to get kaffeine to open the WMV files from within thunderbird

Comment

Hi I am trying to install w32codecs so that I can play wmv files.

I get the error message as per attached screen shot.

Can anyone help. Warning I am a complete novice!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Liam
          I am trying to install w32codecs
          Prior to any installation attempt, you'll have to make the repository providing the packages in question available to your system to do so, please follow the instructions given on: http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repository.php

Comment

Working...
          X