X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updates

Hi
    I am using Kubuntu 6.06
    Almost every morning when I turn on the computer there is a little red triangle notifying me that more updates are ready.(which I always download)

Almost EVERY morning.

The cumulative number of updates is amazing; it is difficult to understand how so much work can be done by so few.
    And this is only on one version of Kubuntu.
    So, my question is how does the number of updates on the 6.06 version compare to the number on the 6.10 version.(or any other version)
    Is it perhaps that since the 6.06 version is LTS that there is more (much more) attention given to updates ?
    Thanks

Re: updates

Originally posted by senorian
    Hi
    I am using Kubuntu 6.06
    Almost every morning when I turn on the computer there is a little red triangle notifying me that more updates are ready.(which I always download)

Almost EVERY morning.
    True, there often are security updates available several times a week (there are a lot of packages included in a (k)ubuntu installation). You should see the updates coming daily to a development version (Though I'm not suggesting you install one just to see )

The cumulative number of updates is amazing; it is difficult to understand how so much work can be done by so few.
    Yup, amazing, but the (k)ubuntu devs don't write all updates themselves , so it's not actually 'done by so few'...it's still amazing, though.

So, my question is how does the number of updates on the 6.06 version compare to the number on the 6.10 version.(or any other version).
    There are some differences (like some security updates might not be needed in all versions, and the packages installed in different versions vary somewhat), but usually the rate of upgrades is roughly the same (excluding the development version).

Is it perhaps that since the 6.06 version is LTS that there is more (much more) attention given to updates ?
    6.06 as an LTS release will be supported with security updates longer, but security updates will be added to all versions when needed.

There might be some more attention given to an LTS release, since (if I've understood correctly, which is often not the case) upgrading from an LTS release to a newer LTS release will be supported. (with non-LTS releases, the upgrade is supported only for consecutive releases). If someone knows better, feel free to correct me

Comment

Re: updates

kubicle
      many thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Working...
      X