Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kde desktop dies -'Unable to write to /tmp': A confounding problem and solution.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde desktop dies -'Unable to write to /tmp': A confounding problem and solution.

My laptop suddenly failed to start the kde desktop after a recent update. x-server would start, but kde wouldn't. Nothing was amiss in xorg.conf. The error message referred to being unable to write to /tmp. I poinked and tweaked for quite a while with no success...

My kde desktop I manage with 3ddesktop, using six screens. My root partition was 3 gig, with all but 250meg filled. See where this is leading? The 3ddesktop application is resource intensive, and needed more space in /root than was available.

I repartitioned the system, allowing 5 gig for the root partition. (BTW, the g-parted live-cd is as awesome tool for this job).

Instant fix. KDE desktop now runs as before. I'm just lucky I didn't break anything else in the process of exploring.

I hope these notes help other.

E.

Re: kde desktop dies -'Unable to write to /tmp': A confounding problem and solut

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...49614#msg49614

Comment

Working...
    X