Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any hardware diagnostic apps/utilities to detect possible hardware probs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any hardware diagnostic apps/utilities to detect possible hardware probs?

I have an Pentium M notebook currently with 512 MB of RAM with an Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 256 MB GPU and have configured it to dual boot into either Kubuntu 6.10 or WinXP, the latter of I which I mainly use for games. These last two days, my computer has been freezing every now and then. When this first started to occur, I was using WinXP. I have no viruses, spyware, cpu monopolizing malware, etc. on my WinXP partition. As linux has always been the cure to anything wrong that ever happens to me on WinXP, I restarted and booted into Edgy. It was running fine until a couple of minutes later, when the same kind of slowdown starting happening in Edgy, too. This has been happening in both OSes occaisionally these past 2 days, with having Edgy freeze on me once! If my system doesn't freeze, it usually takes very long for the screen to refresh.

I reasoned that I may have a hardware problem and suspect either my memory, hard drive, or GPU acting up. I ran memtest86+ v1.65 over 10+ passes and had zero errors. The reason that I suspect my graphics card is because I was playing Oblivion (a hefty game for a GeForce 6 series card) for several hours at a time, which led to severe overheating under certain regions of my notebook. My hard drive spins at 5400 RPM, has been defragmented, and is frequently read to and written to since I download lots of stuff. Is this a problem because I own a Dell, given how cheap their reputation is?

I need help on isolating which of my hardware components is causing these random performance hits. Or whether if the problem is even on the hardware side at all. Any way to go about this? Any programs or utilities useful in this kind of a situation?

Re: Any hardware diagnostic apps/utilities to detect possible hardware probs?

You could try these

dmesg - "mother of all logs"
    Upon boot, the dmesg output is from the kernel booting, showing the devices it has found and if it has been able to configure them at all (aside from userland configuration). This log is also available in the file /var/log/dmesg.
    more:
    dmesg explained (http://linuxgazette.net/issue59/nazario.html)

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Information about graphical hardware, mouse, screen ...
    Also in K > System > System Logs Viewer (KSystemLog)

For hard drives try smartctl
    man smartctl tells:
    smartctl - Control and Monitor Utility for SMART Disks

DESCRIPTION
    smartctl controls the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technol‐
    ogy (SMART) system built into many ATA-3 and later ATA, IDE and SCSI-3
    hard drives. The purpose of SMART is to monitor the reliability of the
    hard drive and predict drive failures, and to carry out different types
    of drive self-tests...

Checking ide drive hda (short selftest)
    Code:
    sudo smartctl -t short /dev/hda
    after test:
    Code:
    sudo smartctl -a /dev/hda
    When my hard drive crashed:
    snip
    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 0
    Warning: ATA Specification requires self-test log structure revision number = 1
    Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA _of_first_error
    # 1 Short offline Completed: servo/seek failure 60% 164 733 69121
    snip
    Note
    smartctl is part of smartmontools (if you don't find smartctl)
    The smartmontools package contains two utility programs (smartctl and smartd)
    to control and monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and
    Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.) built into most modern ATA and SCSI
    hard disks. It is derived from the smartsuite package, and includes support
    for ATA/ATAPI-5 disks. It should run on any modern Linux system.
    If you want to start smartd on system startup you need to edit /etc/default/smartmontools

man smartd tells:
    smartd - SMART Disk Monitoring Daemon

smartd will attempt to enable SMART monitoring on ATA devices (equiva‐
    lent to smartctl -s on) and polls these and SCSI devices every 30 min‐
    utes (configurable), logging SMART errors and changes of SMART
    Attributes via the SYSLOG interface.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

dmesg didnt seem like it was reporting any errors;
      i don't have a file at /var/log/Xorg.0.log;
      smartctl outputs that my Fujitsu hard drive does not support smart protocols or Self Test Logging

I myself don't know where exactly the problem lies, but it has been slowing down recently in a way different than usual. I am welcome to more suggestions.

Comment

For a crude measure of the performance of your video display system run the konsole command "glxgears -iacknowledgethatthis toolisnotabenchmark". Although glxgears is not a benchmark, it will show if your display system is running smoothly and it will give you a meaningless number for it's performance. Try to expand and contract the window it runs in and watch the numbers change. (As a non-benchmark, my nvidia 6600 gives: around 3880 fps when it's in its default mode.) I suspect, though, that your gaming activities are a much tougher test of the performance of your display system.

Comment

Working...
        X