This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gstreamer

I have downloaded Gstreamer Plugin Base.gz and extracted it to a directory called Gstreamer in my home directory. The directory has one file in it called Gstreamer Plugins Base 0.10.7. This is described as an Objective-c source file. How do I proceed please.
    Reeeeeaaly like Kubuntu by the way.

Patanjali
    "We simply must accept the fact that Captain Kirk is no longer alive!"

Re: Gstreamer

just wondering, but why don't you use Adept or Synaptic to install it? Just curious

Comment

I didn't know you could do that. I thought you had to do something special to a source file?

patanjali

Comment

Originally posted by Patanjali
        I didn't know you could do that. I thought you had to do something special to a source file?
        Yes, you need to compile the source if you wish to install from source...but jagwah probably meant you don't need to install from source, as there are pre-built packages for gstreamer available from the repositories.

For more information on how to install with the package managers (and from source, if you really need to install from source):
        Edgy:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...lications.html
        Dapper:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/kubuntu...lications.html
        (the instructions for dapper and edgy are probably the same, but I linked both of the desktop guides just in case)

Comment

Yes, that is what I was getting at, because using the package managers, (Adept, Synaptic) are far easier, and they take care of everything for you, dependencies etc. However if you are experimenting/learning, and this is why you are compiling from source, that is fine. But other than that the easy route would be to let the package managers take care of business for you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. There are a number of relevent things here.

1- I am still an early learner and so could do with practicing how to compile from source.

2 - I looked for the gstreamer base package in my repositories but could not see it, so ended up downloading the source file as described

3 - I am currently running Kubuntu "Breezy".

I will try and find my way through this, and possibly let you know how I get on. At some point I might upgrade to "Dapper", as from the forum postings showing people getting into trouble with "Edgy" I don't think I am quite ready for that yet!

Thanks a lot for your time and trouble.

patanjali

Comment

I only very new to kubuntu myself, and Linux generally. I am using kubuntu 6.10 (edgy eft) so I don't know if it all works the same for other versions, but I guess it would, you may have to enable extra repositories, universe/multiverse, to access the package.

This link may help you,
              https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/kubuntu...ositories.html

Comment

Working...
              X