X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Kubuntu have what I need?

Hi all,
    I'm currently running SuSe 9.2, and it's giving me much grief, because I can't get my shiny new wireless network up. So I am thinking of switching to Kubuntu.

Can anyone tell me if Kubuntu comes standard with nice things like LaTeX and all the drivers I might need? I've been burned like this before.

Is there any place I can find the content page of the standard Kubuntu dvd?

Re: Does Kubuntu have what I need?

The software collection of K/Ubuntu is huge, so that shouldn't be a problem. Most of the stuff is installed very easily with Adept or Synaptic, graphical front ends for the Debian apt-get package management. There is also Latex and Lyx etc...

But as far as wireless is concerned it is not possible to say from the little you tell us about it if it would work with Kubuntu. Generally wireless networks are a difficult issue under linux.

Anyway you could do first experiments with the LiveCD...

++++++++++++ edit

see also http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=1426.0

Comment

Re: Does Kubuntu have what I need?

Originally posted by noid
      Can anyone tell me if Kubuntu comes standard with nice things like LaTeX and all the drivers I might need? 
      That depends on what you mean with 'standard', the default installation is only one CD so there is a limitation on what gets installed by default. (and the dvd AFAIK consists of both the DesktopCD and the AlternateCD, not much more in there software-wise)

Of course the huge package repositories are available for (nearly) all things imaginable once you get online. Like mentioned in the previous post, you can try whether your hardware (wireless) is recognized automagically in (k)ubuntu with the DesktopCD (LiveCD and a graphical installer)

Comment

Working...
      X