This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resetting KDE menu

I wanna reset my KDE menu to orginal. What file contains that info?

Re: Resetting KDE menu

Hi,

Configuration of kde is in your home folder :
    .kderc
    and in the folder .kde/

If you remove all files you will loose also configuration of applications in kde.

Hope it helps

Comment

Paste this command into the terminal:
      Code:
      rm -r ~/.local/share/applications/*
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
        Paste this command into the terminal:
        Code:
        rm -r ~/.local/share/applications/*
        Thanks!

Comment

For me it's in the folder ~/.kde. For example, you have the following file :
          ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc which contains all datas about how look the desktop. If you want you can remove it and logout, login to see...

Code:
          rm -f ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
          PS : maybe you will need to do this, when you're not logged as this user in kde

Hope it helps

Comment

Hello!
            Although the above solutions should work, they would remove other data as well. Try the following:

- Go to ~/.config/menus directory and remove the file applications-kmenuedit.menu. That should restore the KMenu to the original state,
            In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

Hey that worked! Thanks!!!

Comment

The interesting thing about this thread to me, is the fact that people seem to find their configuration files in all sorts of different places. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in my ~/.config/menus directory,or in my ~/.local/share/applications directory. On the other hand my ~/.kde/share.config/kmenueditrc file has only two stanzas both relating to the appearance of the kmenuedit program, despite the fact that I have modified my kmenu with both additions and deletions. Obviously, the file that contains those mods on my system has not been mentioned yet in this thread.

On the other hand, there are 56 hits for *kmenu* (most of them *.png files) under /usr/ some of which seem to have fairly recent (i.e. after the release of Edgy) modification dates, so I suspect that one of those might be the one that holds the contents of Kmenu on my box. I suspect that all of this means that which config files you actually use depends on (a) which release of Kubuntu you're using, (b) whether you installed from scratch, or upgraded, and (c) possibly, whether you have Gnome installed and, if so, which one you installed first.

My conclusion: use the GUI, if you can. The guy who wrote it probably knows all the possible locations for your config files. I am a little surprised. though, because I thought that this kind of thing is a total violation of the Debian Policy Manual. Just shows how little I know.

Comment

The kmenu.png files are icons for the KMenu (the big K you click on the taskbar to open up the menu).

Any menu entries living in the /usr directory are the default ones.

Anything in ~/ are your modifications to those defaults (either additions or deletions).
                  Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    The interesting thing about this thread to me, is the fact that people seem to find their configuration files in all sorts of different places. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in my ~/.config/menus directory,or in my ~/.local/share/applications directory.
                    Oh, I didn't know that! I had the same problem as @Owdy did sometime ago when I was using openSUSE 10.1. I deleted the ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu file and everything went back to normal. It seemed natural Kubuntu has the same config file for KMenu. I guess I was wrong.

BTW, I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.10. No GNOME, dist-upgrades, etc.
                    In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydancer
                      Oh, I didn't know that! I had the same problem as @Owdy did sometime ago when I was using openSUSE 10.1.
                      Im with opensuse 10.2 these days

Comment

The kmenu.png files are icons for the KMenu (the big K you click on the taskbar to open up the menu).
                        That much I know.
                        Any menu entries living in the /usr directory are the default ones.
                        That's what I would have thought, also, but some of them have been altered as recently as 12/07/06. That would indicate that the default files have been modified in the most recent round of upgrades. In and of itself, I believe that that is perfectly reasonable, but the fact that I wasn't asked whether I wanted to apply these changes to MY configfuration files would seem to be be a violation of the Debian Policy Manual in my (admittedly limited) understanding.

Comment

Working...
                        X