Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm linux user with ~10 years linux experience(from time to time), and just yesterday i've decided to give a try to kubuntu, although i don't like both gnome and kde. My last distro of choice were Gentoo which i've installed sometimes, tried this and that and then removed quickly - i like it, but it's still platform for experimentators, not users. Also i have to say that i have no debian experience at all, hehe

So, what i can say about Kubuntu? It's brilliant.
    It's so easy to setup and use, that i simply have no words.
    This was second time when i was really impressed by linux(first one were when i has compiled my first kernel ).
    In other words - i think Kubuntu moves in right direction. But. There's always some "but" :

1. Among all these system administration tools i don't see any ones that allows me to set-up pppoe connection. I know, there's pppoconf installed automatically, but it could be very nice if pppoe setup will be as easy as setting up regular network connection in systemsettings panel.

2. I don't understood, why while there's so much easy things around, it's so hard to compile and install new kernel for kubuntu. If you making things easy - make them _all_ easy. I think additional "Kernel" applet in "advanced" section of systemsetting wouldn't be redundant.

3. Same this for graphics drivers. I don't see any updates for fresh nvidia drivers in repositories, and after some googling about "kubuntu 6.10 9629" i've learned that installing new drivers is kind of "mumbo-jumbo", and can broke some things(or any update of system via package manager could broke the system).

4. First thing i did is installed kubuntu under the vmware onto physical hdd - it worked just fine.
    Then i've decided to boot from this hdd in native mode - well, it booted, but i were unable to change my video card drivers - any settings i've made in the systemsettings didn't affected system at all. Btw, every time i've ended session in KDE, it throws some error. I've tried this 4 times, and after all i've looked into /var/log/messages, and saw that some "reconfigure" required.
    When i did it manually, it wasn't able to start at all(startx), reporting that it "unable to find screens".
    When after that i've fixed xorg.conf manually, setting "nv" driver instead of "vesa", X launched ok, but when blue background of KDE and mouse cursor appeared, my machine simply hangs so hard that even numlock and mouse didn't worked, not talking about ctrl-alt-backspace or ctrl-alt-f2.
    As i understood, something were broken, but i don't like to dig it, spending my time on it(at least not at this time).

So, it it possible to avoid as much as possible all of these incompatibilities? There's only few things have to be done, to get linux system usable as windows or macosx(please, no flame).
    I'm ready to contact with any developer and discuss it, if they interested.
    Unfortunately i'm not unix programmer, so i can't help with coding

PS: Also, i was unable to report KDE error, cause system reporting tool simply didn't appears after i've launched it.

PPS: Please, is it possible to include some version of beryl into next version?
Working...
X