This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any CDs to help the postinstall phase ?

Hi Everyone, I am a longtime fedora user who has just migrated this way. My only crib with Kubuntu is that it is $#$#$# painful to spent half a day of my time to get everything installed. I am a programmer, and Kubuntu comes with no support for the myriad of key libraries etc needed. Although there exist things like Automatix etc, but they don't install any development related stuff.
    I was wondering if there is some kind of an unofficial multiple CD version of kubuntu, which comes with all important development libraries. Something equivalent to what any good old Fedora or such system would provide. It is really painful to apt-get *everything*.
    Thanks.

Re: Any CDs to help the postinstall phase ?

Nope.

One CD. That's it.

There's an unofficial add-on CD, but it focuses on popular applications and codecs, not development libraries.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Re: Any CDs to help the postinstall phase ?

Install the package "build-essential". That will get you started. It installs gcc, make, config, and some very essential libraries and headers.

Beyond that, you'll have to hunt for the packages you need, usually packages of libraries and header files are name "<whatever>-dev" so you can can get a global view by searching on "-dev" in your favorite package manager e.g. apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, or (even)adept. There are nearly 2000 "*-dev" packages so I'd search by topics instead. The usual GUI development systems are available, as well.

Comment

Working...
      X