X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with i855crt

Hi!

I want to connect my laptop (Sony Vaio TX2) to my lcd screen.
    I tried i810switch but it didn't work. I got flicker on the screen and it seemed to be a known problem.
    I instead tried i855crt. I installed it but when I ran i855crt on 1024x768@60 in the console i got the message below.

Intel 855GM CRT out driver V0.4
    Copyright (C) Merello Andrea 2004

found mode 1024x768@60
    No know videocard has been found.
    Does anyone know how I can solve this?

// Johan

Re: Problem with i855crt

I think that if you go to Adept and install 955resolution, that may take care of you.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
      I think that if you go to Adept and install 955resolution, that may take care of you.
      I didn't find anything named 955resolution!

The closest i found was 915resolution

Comment

That's what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          That's what you want.
          Ok, I installed that but I still get the same message!

Comment

Do you have "Screen" stanza in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that includes a Device line for your video chip, and a Monitor line for your external monitor? For example:
            Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Default Screen"
            Device "Nvidia 6600"
            Monitor "SONY SDM-S95A"
            DefaultDepth 24
            SubSection "Display"
            etc.
            Obviously, your device is not an Nvidia 6600 and your LCD is probably not a Sony SDM-S95A, but the modifications are obvious.

Comment

Do you have "Screen" stanza in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that includes a Device line for your video chip, and a Monitor line for your external monitor? For example:
              Section "Screen"
              Device "Nvidia 6600"
              Monitor "SONY SDM-S95A"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              etc.
              Obviously, your device is not an Nvidia 6600 and your LCD is probably not a Sony SDM-S95A, but the modifications are obvious.
              My Screen section looks like this!
              Section "Screen"
              Device "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
              Monitor "Generic Monitor"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 1
              Modes "1366x768"
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 4
              Modes "1366x768"
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 8
              Modes "1366x768"
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 15
              Modes "1366x768"
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 16
              Modes "1366x768"
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 24
              Modes "1366x768"
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

Comment

If you want to use both the builtin screen in the laptop and the external monitor, you need 2 screen stanzas: one (the Default Screen) for the builtin and one called it "Extra Screen" or "Big Screen" (the Identifier line is for identification purposes only). If you only have one screen stanza, you can't use two devices. Obviously, you also need two Monitor stanzas and two Server Layout stanzas.

Comment

If you want to use both the builtin screen in the laptop and the external monitor, you need 2 screen stanzas: one (the Default Screen) for the builtin and one called it "Extra Screen" or "Big Screen" (the Identifier line is for identification purposes only). If you only have one screen stanza, you can't use two devices. Obviously, you also need two Monitor stanzas and two Server Layout stanzas.
                  Do you care to help me?

Have tried alot with no result.

Comment

What's the current problem? I should point out that I've never attached a monitor to my laptop. I have a full size keyboard and a trackball attached to my docking port, but I still use the bultin screen (lack of real estate on the table).

Comment

What's the current problem? I should point out that I've never attached a monitor to my laptop. I have a full size keyboard and a trackball attached to my docking port, but I still use the bultin screen (lack of real estate on the table).
                      The problem still is that I get:
                      Intel 855GM CRT out driver V0.4
                      Copyright (C) Merello Andrea 2004

found mode 1024x768@60
                      No know videocard has been found.
                      Because I don't know how to change the xorg.conf so that it works.

Comment

The best (not easiest) way is to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by hand. The file is owned by user root, group root so you will need to use sudo. Also, since you can't get to the GUI, you will need to use a console editor. I recommend nano. If it's not already installed, you can install it with apt-get without using the GUI. Fortunately, the package is named "nano"

Before you start, you will need to know the range of vertical refresh rates (in Hz) and horizontal sync rates (in KHz) of your monitor. You can get these from the monitor manufacturer's web site. You also need to know where your video adapter is located on the pci bus, so run the command "lspci". One line of the output will say something like
                        Code:
                        01:00.0 VGA Compatible Controller: <whatever>
                        The important part is the "01:00.0" string.

Start nano with the command "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf". If you booted up in Recovery Mode, you're already root, so you can omit the sudo. Remember nano is a console editor so your mouse won't work, you have to navigate with the arrow keys. (I've been doing this for over twenty years, and it still gets me every time.) Find the stanza that says something like
                        Section "Device"
                        Identifier "Nvidia 6600"
                        Driver "nvidia"
                        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
                        EndSection
                        Obviously, that's not what yours will say. Make sure that the BusID line has the correct values for the numbers you found with "lspci". Now look at the Identifier line: Note the value inside the quotation marks. Create a "Screen" section that has a line that says "Device "<whatever-name-you-found>"

I think that's enough for now, since this change may be enough to solve your problem.

Comment

Hi again and thanks very mush for answering me.
                          I'm sorry if I may be slow in my linuxbrain but I don't understand exactly what you mean.

I'm familiar with nano so that won't be a problem. Although I don't see any reason to use it. Couldn't I use a regular texteditor?

No to the thing I don't fully understand.

I ran lspci and got:
                          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
                          In my xorg.conf I found this:
                          Section "Device"
                          Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
                          Driver "i810"
                          BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
                          EndSection
                          Do you want me to put a section inside that or one just like it with changes?

You also said:
                          Before you start, you will need to know the range of vertical refresh rates (in Hz) and horizontal sync rates (in KHz) of your monitor.
                          Where should I specify this?

I would realy appreciate if you could help me with this.

Comment

I suggested the use of nano because I was under the impression that you were unable to start X and therefore, that you had to use a console editor. Nano is substantially easier to use than either Vi or Emacs, so I always suggest the use of nano because there are many users on these forums who may not be comfortable with console tools. By all means use any text editor that works and that you feel comfortable with.

Now to the REAL problem. I thought that the error message "no known video card has been found" indicated that the xserver was unable to locate your video card. Accordingly, I suggested a procedure that would allow you to find the video card on the PCI bus by hand and then enter that location in the BusID line. In a further message (had the first step been successful) I was planning to have you generate a stripped down xorg.conf (without mode lines). To do that you need to know the characteristics of your monitor so that you can specify a simple monitor configuration using the HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters.

The problem is that your xorg.conf file appears to point to the correct address on the PCI already, but the xserver says it is NOT finding the the card where "lspci" and your xorg.conf file say it is. So, we have to think up another reason for that error message. I note that the error message quotes a detected video mode of 1024x768 with a VertRefresh rate of 60 Hz, while the only mode listed in your Display section is 1366x768. Again, I normally advise people to specify only ONE screen size (specifically, the pixel size of the flat panel), but I'm wondering whether that strategy has failed for you. I'm not as familiar with the Intel 915GM video controller as I am with some Nvidia and ATI models. Is the i915GM limited to a maximum screen size of 1024x768 ?

Comment

Again, I normally advise people to specify only ONE screen size (specifically, the pixel size of the flat panel), but I'm wondering whether that strategy has failed for you.
                              I haven't done anything by my self. I have Ubuntu which pretty much does all things for me (Except external screen ).

I'm not as familiar with the Intel 915GM video controller as I am with some Nvidia and ATI models. Is the i915GM limited to a maximum screen size of 1024x768?
                              I don't now. I just tried with a resolution. I don't even know if that works.

Here is my screen specifikation

Comment

Working...
                              X