This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with i855crt

According to the spec, your monitor is 1280x768 pixels and runs in progressive HD mode. Because it is a tv set, it is designed to run at a 60 Hz VertRefresh rate, if you are in North America or Japan and 50 Hz, if you live elsewhere. Therefore, you should be setting your xorg.conf file for 1280x768@60 when you run your images on the big screen. I don't know where the 1366x768 came from, but I'm guessing that it is the resolution of your laptop's screen. If so, you should DEFINITELY have a separate Screen section for the external TV, with the Display sub-sections showing 1280x768 at all color depths.

In the course of trying to get the facts about the Intel 915GM display controller, I found a couple of sites that you SHOULD look at. First look at this page on the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki. I suggest bookmarking that site. Personally, I refer to it almost every day for hardware and software problems. Then, look at this site which offers both an explanation of what's going on with the Intel device and a bunch of references (the first of which is to the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki). I haven't followed the links there, but you should.

Let us know if, you have a problem understanding what you have to do.

Comment

Hi again!

I have read alot about it and tried for a while now but I realy can't figure it out.

I'd like some more help...

Originally posted by askrieger
      I don't know where the 1366x768 came from, but I'm guessing that it is the resolution of your laptop's screen.
      Yes, thats my laptop!

If so, you should DEFINITELY have a separate Screen section for the external TV, with the Display sub-sections showing 1280x768 at all color depths.
      Okey, can you please be more specific on how to do that?

Comment

The dimensions of the Phillips Monitor appears to be 1280x768 pixel screen with a maximum vertical refresh rate of 100Hz, which would be a gamer's dream, but it's not. After a bit of googling, I found a spec sheet on the Phillips website. Apparently, the best that the electronics can do when using the system as a computer monitor is 1024x768@60, 70, or 75Hz, vertical refresh rates. Unfortunately, the spec sheet did not include the Horizontal Sync rate range, which is the most important parameter of the type of monitor section that I was planning to write for your display.

Accordingly, you are going to need to write modelines for these modes. This is something that, I am ashamed to say, I have never learned to do. I know that there is a website that will generate modelines for you, but I don't know where it is. You will have to search for it.

Comment

Hi again...

I have still not got it working... But I have done some progress.

I booted up a live cd on a regular computer with the screen I want to use with my laptop and copied that xorg.conf file. (The screen worked there on the regular computer).
          I thought that you would do some magic with my to files...

Laptop: xorg.conf
          Regular: xorg.conf

Comment

Thanks for posting those two (presumably working) files. Here's what I would do.

0) This has nothing to do with your problem. It's just good housekeeping. Unless you actually have a tablet PC, completely eliminate (or #comment out) all three stanzas referring to the "wacom" from the lines starting with "Section" to the lines starting with "EndSection". Also, remove the lines referring to "stylus", "cursor". and "erasor" from your "ServerLayout" stanza. This will eliminate spurious error messages when you try to start GUI prgorams from the konsole so that you can get "real" error messages.

1) In the xorg.conf file for the laptop, make a second "ServerLayout" stanza. something like
            Code:
            Section ServerLayout
                Identifier     "Extra Layout"
                Screen       "ExtraScreen"
            	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
            	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
            	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
            EndSection
            2) Now add a second screen stanza
            Code:
            Section "Screen"
            	Identifier	"Extra Screen"
            	Device		"Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
            	Monitor		"PHL 17PF8946"
            	DefaultDepth	24
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Depth		1
            		Modes		"1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
            	EndSubSection
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Depth		4
            	EndSubSection
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Depth		8
            	EndSubSection
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Depth		15
            	EndSubSection
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Depth		16
            	EndSubSection
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Depth		24
            	EndSubSection
            EndSection
            You can leave out all the modes other than 1024x768, if you wish.

2) Now add another monitor stanza:
            Code:
            Section "Monitor"
            	Identifier	"PHL 17PF8946"
            	Option		"DPMS"
            EndSection
            Unless I've forgotten something, you should be good to go (without ever having to write a modeline!)

Comment

Hi!

Still no success. I read the readme file a bit more careful and tried all of the examples and all gave the same message.
              For example: i855crt on 1024x768@60
              Intel 855GM CRT out driver V0.4
              Copyright (C) Merello Andrea 2004

found mode 1024x768@60
              No know videocard has been found.
              Can you se anything wrong in my new xorg.conf file?

lspci gives me:
              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
              00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
              Is it the correct slot in the xorg.conf file?

0) This has nothing to do with your problem. It's just good housekeeping. Unless you actually have a tablet PC, completely eliminate (or #comment out) all three stanzas referring to the "wacom" from the lines starting with "Section" to the lines starting with "EndSection". Also, remove the lines referring to "stylus", "cursor". and "erasor" from your "ServerLayout" stanza. This will eliminate spurious error messages when you try to start GUI prgorams from the konsole so that you can get "real" error messages.
              Ok! I'll see about this when I've solved the screen problem.

Comment

I can't see anything obviously wrong with your xorg.conf file. I also don't see why it doesn't work. However, I've never seen a system that had a single video adapter with two entries on the PCI bus. I suppose you could try changing the busid of the video device in xorg.conf, but I have no reason to believe that that would help. I'm out of my depth here.

Comment

I can't see anything obviously wrong with your xorg.conf file. I also don't see why it doesn't work. However, I've never seen a system that had a single video adapter with two entries on the PCI bus. I suppose you could try changing the busid of the video device in xorg.conf, but I have no reason to believe that that would help. I'm out of my depth here.
                  It didn't work changing the busid.

Do you know any other program I can try with?

Comment

Are you following the instructions in the 915Resolution Readme? I don't have an Intel display adapter so I don't know what they tell you, if anything?

Comment

Are you following the instructions in the 915Resolution Readme? I don't have an Intel display adapter so I don't know what they tell you, if anything?
                      I haven't read that one... What does that program do?

Comment

The 915Resolution package is in the Universe repos. It was recommended to you right at the start of this thread. I thought you had installed it. To quote the package description:
                        915resolution is a tool to modify the video BIOS of the 800 and 900 series Intel graphics chipsets. This includes the 845G, 855G, and 865G chipsets, as well as 915G, 915GM, and 945G chipsets. This modification is necessary to allow the display of certain graphics resolutions for an Xorg or XFree86 graphics server.

915resolution's modifications of the BIOS are transient. There is no risk of permanent modification of the BIOS.
                        This also means that 915resolution must be run every time the computer boots in order for its changes to take effect. If you want to automatically set the resolution on each boot and before X is launched, see usr/share/doc/915resolution/README.Debianfor information about configuring the provided initscript.

Web site: http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

Comment

The 915Resolution package is in the Universe repos. It was recommended to you right at the start of this thread. I thought you had installed it.
                          I did install it when I was recomended to but I didn't know what it did...

Do you have any more ideas of what I could do?

Comment

Hi! I found this. You think it could help?

Comment

It's certainly worth a try!

Comment

915 is the current version of the old 855resolution. Don't roll back to 855resolution as described in the article you linked.

Comment

Working...
                                X