This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

customize kde?

I want to disabe kdesktop/kicker and other kde stuff on a use specific basis.

Currently I renamed /usr/share/autostart/klipper.desktop which disables klipper on system-wide basis. But like I said I want this to be a user-specific thing. HOw?

2. There are many K* processes running like khelper,kjournald,kded. Whats up with them, and how can I switch them off

3. Possible to run khotkeys without running kde? Because honestly speaking thats all khotkeys is the ony bit that I want from kde to be running all the time.

Thanks

Re: customize kde?

You can look at /home/<A-User>/.kde/share/config/ to change thngs on a user-by-user basis. For example, the file klipperrc in that directory has an entry
    AutoStart=true
    I suspect that changing it to "false" would turn off klipper for that user. Of course, if the user knows how, she can turn it back on, but I suppose you could change the ownership to root, root and and change the perms make it unwriteable by mere mortals.

Comment

You have the option when closing klipper from the desktop (right-click menu) to not start it up after login

kjournald is not a kde process, it is a kernel/filesystem process that is part of your ext3 filesystem. You need it unless you try a different filesystem.

khelper is also part of the kernel (not a kde app), though I can't remember what it is for.

a brief explaination of kded is here:
      http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/startup.php
      You can see what kded items are running on demand and at startup in System Settings/Service Manager

Im sure you don't need kde running to use khotkeys, but you sure will have to have at least some kde libraries loaded up for it to run, which would add to your system if you are running gnome or XFCE, which probably have their own similar utilities

Comment

well klipper can be disabled from ~/.kde/share/config , but I couldn't find anything for disabling kicker/kdesktop/korganiser etc. But again if I can get khotkeys to run without kde, I'll be more than delighted. Anyone?
        How is the khotkeys daemon is started?

Comment

I think we may need more info, as in what you mean "run khotkeys without kde"
          Which desktop environment are you running in place of KDE? khotkeys is part of kdebase, pretty much the core of the desktop. But you can bring up the module with the command
          Code:
          kcmshell khotkeys
          You can remove the kicker (taskbar) as well as the system tray which I think will prevent the korganizer icon from starting up. Right-click on the taskbar and remove whatever you want removed.

Comment

My desktop environment is fvwm(yes I know its a window manager). So what I want is to start khotkeys without starting the k desktop environment. Just like kicker can be started simply by the command 'kicker' irrespective of the desktop environment.

kcmshell khotkeys
            Thanks but this starts the configuring dialog for khotkeys.. not the daemon

Comment

khotkeys ii I think kde-specific, so I don't think it will run without loading part of kde at least from what I can find. (my searches produce little info on this.)

Have you tried just running the command "khotkeys"? this produces an error for me.
              If you already have khotkeys running, it will give the error:
              Code:
              $ khotkeys
              ERROR: Communication problem with khotkeys, it probably crashed
              But you can kill it by:
              Code:
              dcop kded khotkeys quit
              or
              Code:
               killall khotkeys
              then run the command "khotkeys'
              so if you arent't running kde, the command 'khotkeys' *should* work, maybe , I think, possibly

Comment

typing "khotkeys" ws the first thing I tried of course..

Comment

As far as I can tell, fvwm's key setup is done through its config file, so I don't believe khotkeys would work in that WM anyway

very brief and uninformative
                  http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/bindings.html

fvwm's wiki http://www.fvwmwiki.org/
                  is down atm

Some overall fvwm configs, which you could use as a reference point
                  http://www.dotfiles.com/index.php?app_id=17

Comment

Working...
                  X