Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading of asian filenames from a cd burned under windows...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading of asian filenames from a cd burned under windows...

Hi!

My locale is an UTF-8. When I mount a CD which was burned with Windows I get instead of the korean filename. Unfortunately no entry of konqueror´s encoding settings works. I think it´s because Windows uses an ISO charset and no unicode. How can I make the filenames readable?

Thanks in advance,

Soju

Re: Reading of asian filenames from a cd burned under windows...

The problem is that Microsoft does NOT use the international standard character sets. They have their own. As a result, I don't know what to tell you. The first thing you need to know is the character encoding that Windows uses to encode Korean. The second thing you need to know is how to translate that character set into an ISO or UTF character set. You may be able to get information on the first question from Windows manuals or books about the Korean version of Windows. The second problem then becomes one of translating the Windows character set into one that Linux understands. I'm sure that you are not the first person to encounter this problem. Obviously, Microsoft will not help you here, but other Korean Linux users probably can.

Comment

Working...
    X