This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about installing software...

Well, maybe it'll sound strange, but what if I want to save the downloaded soft (from universe or multiverse) on a CD to istall them offline in a second time? How I can do this? Is it possible?
    Thanks.

Re: about installing software...

Yes.

Apt-get repositories usually use http to comunicate, it's the same system used by webpages. You can download packages using a browser from them.

Maybe a example is more clear. I have the following line in my source.lst

Code:
    deb [url]http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] edgy main restricted universe multiverse
    Now point a browser here:

http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

Click on the pool link, and have fun browsing.

Javier.

Comment

thanks. so here I can download stuff. but since I am new to linux, I run in 2 problens:

1. how can I know the when some package require others to fbe istalled?

2. how can I tell adept to install packages from a cd?

thanks, and sorry if I bother.

Piovrauz.

Comment

If they are only a couple of packages, I'd use the "manual" system.

1) Look for the packages prerequisites in adept.
        2) Download the needed packages
        3) Burn a CD
        4) Install them by hand in the other computer (using dpkg -i)

Of course, if we are talking about lots of package, making a CD that apt-get (or adept) can use is a better option. But it is quite a complicated one. I have done it once following a HOW-TO, but I really don't want to do it again .

Unluckily the How-to is in Spanish, I'll link it here anyway.

http://www.ubuntu-es.org/index.php?q=node/27767

It's not the most popular thing to say here, but *ubuntu is very internet oriented. Usually rpm based distros work better without net access. When I need to use linux far without internet or on dial-up I usually choose Mandriva over *ubuntu (the 6-cd version).

Javier.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try the manual steps. Spanish is not friendly enough for me, I don't understand a word (sigh!). It's true that Xubuntu it's internet oriented, but I wanted to try it at home, on my desktop, and I don't have internet access there.

I 'd like to do all my linux test with xubuntu first, cause I tried it on a laptop, and liked it very much.

Thanks for the help.

Have a nice day (or night...)

Comment

Originally posted by piovrauz
            Have a nice day (or night...)
            It's still day for me .

Javier.

Comment

If I understand what you want to do, correctly, the Debian developers have anticipated your problem. This should work on (K)Ubuntu just as well. If you have the Universe repos activated, search for a package called "apt-zip". I quote from the official description:
              Update a non-networked computer using apt and removable media
              These scripts simplify the process of using dselect and apt on a
              non-networked Debian box, using removable media like ZIP floppies and
              USB keys.
              One generates a `fetch' script (supporting backends such as wget and
              lftp, in a modular, extensible way) to be run on a host with better
              connectivity, check space constraints of your removable media, and
              then install the package on your Debian box.

Comment

I'll give it a try, it seems to me that it does what I need. Thanks. I'll let you know if I'll succeded or not (I hope yes!).

Comment

I just istalled the apt-zip package, but: how I can use it? there are no info! I'm a complete noob on *nix, so please help me...

Comment

Please take a look at this thread on the JustLinux forums for a detailed description of what to do. You will also find the first part of this site useful, because it goes into more detail about how apt-get and apt-zip interact.

Comment

Working...
                    X