This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference?

Switched to Kubuntu from FreeBSD a while back, and I've been wondering, What's the difference between Breezy, Dapper and Edgy?

Do they just come with different packages or what?

Any explanations would be great

Thanks ^_^

P.S. No flames please :P

Re: What's the difference?

The usual differences:

- Newer releases have newer packages and newer kernels. Newer artwork, too.
    - Dapper is LTS or Long Term Support, meaning it will have security updates for 3-5 years
    - Edgy has lots of new stuff, like the new init system called Upstart, a revamped System Settings, "experimental" implementations (media:/ changed to /media, hidden-root), etc.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

What about breezy?

Which is the best to go for?

I'm not too sure which I have installed...But say for example, I have Edgy installed...can I change to Breezy without a fresh install?

Comment

Hi. Breezy is the version 5.10. Dapper is version 6.06. And Edgy is version 6.10. That being said, Breezy is the oldest version among the three.

Dapper has 3 years support, Breezy and Edgy has 18 months.

Just a question: Why would you want to downgrade to Breezy if you already have Edgy?

Comment

Like i said, It was just an example, i dunno the difference :P

Well...I do now

Comment

Just another question...What do you mean by support?
            Why does Edgy have less support than the other two?

Comment

A supported release means that it will receive security updates and some bug fixes during its life time. So basically, "support" means "security/bugfix updates." Take note that the guaranteed updates are only security and bug fixes. There is no guarantee that version/release updates will be provided. This means that if program A 1.0 is installed by default and version A 1.1 was just released after a few days/weeks, it's not certain that program A will be updated.

Edgy is not less supported than Breezy. Edgy is a regular release like all the rest. Dapper is the LTS release, which will have a longer lifetime, which is 3-5 years.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

What happens after the 18 months have ran out?
                Can you renew it?

Comment

After a releases reaches it's EOL or End Of Life, there will be no longer be any updates that will be made officially available for it. Of course you can still keep on using it, but you will not receives security patches or bug fixes anymore. You can either keep on using it, un-updated or updated through some other, unofficial means (it such means exist), or you can upgrade to any of the currently supported releases.
                  Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Just figured I'd also mention that those version numbers (Breezy 5.10, Dapper 6.06, and Edgy 6.10) are the year and month of release, eg. Edgy was released in October 2006. From that you can easily tell when their support runs out.

Comment

Working...
                    X