This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from SUSE; question

With the recent major turn of events, I am considering a switch from the SUSE/KDE combination that I've been using for years. Kubuntu is looking like a great candidate.

My biggest concern is that I have a separate hard drive for /home that is reiserfs formatted. Will I be able to mount this drive as home when installing Kubuntu? I'm no guru, so if it must be done CLI style, any tips would be appreciated. Also, anyone who has tips regarding the switch, like major differences to expect, please feel free to offer advice. Thanks in advance.

Re: Switching from SUSE; question

Originally posted by Louis
    With the recent major turn of events, I am considering a switch from the SUSE/KDE combination that I've been using for years. Kubuntu is looking like a great candidate.

My biggest concern is that I have a separate hard drive for /home that is reiserfs formatted. Will I be able to mount this drive as home when installing Kubuntu? I'm no guru, so if it must be done CLI style, any tips would be appreciated. Also, anyone who has tips regarding the switch, like major differences to expect, please feel free to offer advice. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Louis
    I hope I can help you?
    I would copy all your data to CDs/DVDs before moving from one OS to another.
    This way you are able to copy the files back on the new OS and should be able to use your data.
    Also I do think it you should back up your data from time to time.
    Hard drives do go bad.
    I help support about 5000 PCs/Laptops at work, we tell the users to save they data to the servers, not on the local hard drive.
    I home the best way is to burn CDs/DVDs .

Good Luck and I hope some others can help you with more info

Comment

Originally posted by Louis
      My biggest concern is that I have a separate hard drive for /home that is reiserfs formatted.  Will I be able to mount this drive as home when installing Kubuntu?  I'm no guru, so if it must be done CLI style, any tips would be appreciated.  Also, anyone who has tips regarding the switch, like major differences to expect, please feel free to offer advice.  Thanks in advance.
      Not absolutely sure, but I recall reading the installer doesn't have an option to create reiserfs partitions. Kubuntu should be able to use reiserfs partitions just fine, so there shouldn't be any problems mounting it as home. If you wish to be extra safe you could mount your old home as /home/data first to see how it works and then change it to /home (or copy the files you need from your /home/data to /home)

Of course back-ups are always advisable.

If you go ahead with it, let us know how it worked out

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I will probably give it a try, and I will let you know what happens.

I did already plan on a backup; I learned that lesson years ago. It just makes it easier when you can mount the drive and your data is there.

Comment

I would suggest to firstly disconnect the drive hosting your current home directory, secondly install Kubuntu (with "default" home as subdirectory of root file system) and, having succeeded in doing so, reconnect the second hard drive and manually try to mount it.

If this works, you can edit the file system table (fstab) in order to permanently use the "external" home as default. If it fails, nothing is lost (except for your time). - I know that this sounds complicated (which it isn't) - but this way your data won't be at any risk ...

HTH
          Birdy

Comment

Hi,

Absolutely sure the Kubuntu Installer is capable of making and so, handling, reiserFS.
            You only have to edit the partition table manually and change the default extf3 to reiserFS.
            Keep in mind ReiserFS is not develloped anymore as it seems the developper has a serious problem with the Law.

Greetings,

Toran

Comment

Actually, the Alternate Installation Disk is capable of using RFS (and creating) RFS partitions. The standard "Desktop" CD that starts as a live CD and then installs from there will NOT allow you to create an RFS partition. I'm not sure whether it even recognises existing RFS partitions. Accordingly, my advice would be to download the Alternate Installation Disk, and work from there.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, this might be correct.
                I always use Alternate.
                No idea what DesktopCd can do, or not do.

Greetings,

Toran

Comment

Working...
                X