This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 2.0

Any idea when v2.0 will be in the repos?

Re: Firefox 2.0

The RC version is in edgy repos for a long time.

Comment

Hello
      I have been using Kubuntu 6.06 for about a month now and I like it alot. But I am concern about when and if Firefox 2 will be availible. Will it come as and update or do I have to download the update from somewhere ? Or should I uninstall 1.5.0.7 and install 2.0 from Mozilla ? I do not know how long it takes for updates as a normal time frame for releases.
      Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Try this:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox

Comment

This just blows. According to the instructions, the repos won't ever get v2 of firefox for 6.06. I mean, having used linux for quite some time, I'm no stranger to manual installs and doing symlinks and manual edits to have everything working well. I'm also rather used to apt repositories removing that hassle so I can spend more time doing more productive work on the computer.

Sorry for the rant and all. I just don't want to upgrade to Edgy on my only computer and risk tons of downtime.
          Originally posted by pulpfile

Comment

calcmandan

Where did you find that info that Firefox 2.0 won't be availible for update on 6.06 ?
            Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Click on the link I quoted on that post. It's on Ubuntu help files online and explains how to install version 2. It expressly states not to remove version 1.5 due to dependency of other programs. You'll see.

Originally posted by linuxwizard
              calcmandan

Where did you find that info that Firefox 2.0 won't be availible for update on 6.06 ?

Comment

Just a tangent, but I'd avoid the "edgy" release, it causes me problems on my Dell Optiplex GXa and apparently some other machines as well. I don't blame you for not wanting the potential downtime, I was so unsatisfied with "edgy" that I downgraded to 6.06.

Originally posted by calcmandan
                Sorry for the rant and all.  I just don't want to upgrade to Edgy on my only computer and risk tons of downtime.

Comment

First of all, for most people, Edgy "just works" without tons of downtime. Second, I'm running Firefox 2.0 under Edgy, but the benefits of FF2 relative to FF 1.0.5 are not at all visible to me. If anything, FF 1.0.5 was preferable because some of the extensions that I used with 1.0.5 won't run with FF 2.0 . In general this is because FF 2 incorporates most, but not all, of the capabilities of the old extension. So my basic advice is not to regard FF as a reason to either upgrade to Edgy or not to upgrade, because it won't be very different.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    First of all, for most people, Edgy "just works" without tons of downtime.
                    Most people yeah, but most people don't have my bad luck...
                    Second, I'm running Firefox 2.0 under Edgy, but the benefits of FF2 relative to FF 1.0.5 are not at all visible to me.
                    I do believe they stated that the downloaded/installed version runs much faster than the ubuntu builds. So I agree with you totally.
                    If anything, FF 1.0.5 was preferable because some of the extensions that I used with 1.0.5 won't run with FF 2.0 . In general this is because FF 2 incorporates most, but not all, of the capabilities of the old extension. So my basic advice is not to regard FF as a reason to either upgrade to Edgy or not to upgrade, because it won't be very different.
                    And that's great advice. I won't be getting Edgy. I won't be upgrading FF either because my hard drive died on Friday and I don't have the money to replace it nor do I have the money to get a new computer so I'm giong to be running knoppix for the next few months.

Comment

Working...
                    X