This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibernating in Kubuntu

I'm looking for some information on how can I enable hibernating support on my kubuntu box.

I'm using Breezy, P-4 2.8/HT, 1024MB DDR Ram, Intel's made 865GBF mobo, 400watt ATX SMPS.
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Re: Hibernating in Kubuntu

Originally posted by whoiam55
    I'm looking for some information on how can I enable hibernating support on my kubuntu box.

I'm using Breezy, P-4 2.8/HT, 1024MB DDR Ram, Intel's made 865GBF mobo, 400watt ATX SMPS.
    In my experience, hibernating worked right out of the box, both to RAM and to disk. The only problem arrived with the NVidia drivers. It seems that if it is being used, the computer simply isn't able to recover from the hibernation.

I believe that this problem didn't happened with the default xorg driver. Still, I didn't used it long enough to test it thoroughly.

Comment

I'm using it every day on my laptop, really nice, not to have to restart every time you want to look on something...
      All scripts are in /etc/acpi (to hibernate, hibernate.sh)
      The only staff, I didn't found is how to hibernate to a file (like in package suspend2). Nevermind for now, I just need as many swap partitions as operating system ;-)

Whoami55, what you're looking especially about hibernating ? Maybe I can help

Comment

Originally posted by sky
        Whoami55, what you're looking especially about hibernating ? Maybe I can help
        Hi,

Actually there is lots of power outages in india (particularly in my home town), some times, I have lots of things open like 100s of Pages in Firefox and lots of other thing in, If power gone. I have to close all of them to switch off my computer. In windowsXP I can press the Power On/Off button so it will save all things in the memory to a file (c:\hiberfil.sys). I guess you understand what I mean.

thnx
        cheers!
        -=|From the desk of|=-
        «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
        «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
        «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
        Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

I see what you mean.
          So when you would press power button on Windows, you can lauch :
          sudo /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
          And you're computer should stop.
          If you want to configure it more, you can edit the shell script, there's some options.
          I don't have nvidia card, so I have no troubles, I've seen that some people does...

This script is saving all your datas to swap partition, so when you switch on again you're computer, it's loading everything from it and restore your desktop exactly like it was, when you've launched the hibernate script.

Hope it helped.

Comment

Working...
          X