This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with su

encountering a bit of a weird problem. whenever i try to change settings through the gui i get to the part where the password dialog pops up, i enter the password and it tells me that the password is wrong. when i just su in the shell that very same password works, as it should, meaning that it's not that i forgot the password or anything. perhaps there is something i need to configure that i have not? can't so much as begin to understand the root of the problem.

thanks in advance,
    max

Re: problems with su

First of all, You must not enable your root account password, Second you must stop using su, use sudo or sudo -s instead, When sudo or kdesud ask you root password enter your password. To lock you root password type sudo passwd -l root. check the link for more information.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Re: problems with su

i've just always used su and didn't realize that with sudo you need to type the account password rather than the root password. well i guess that's it everything's running smoothly now. thanks for your help, hopefully i'll be posting a lot less problems now than 3 in 7 days.

thanks,
      max

Comment

Working...
      X